Digital Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all ,
can someone please recommend a good Digital Desktop Scanner something that is easy to program using software for brooklyn nyc area ?

captclint

Mentor
hello all ,
can someone please recommend a good Digital Desktop Scanner something that is easy to program using software for brooklyn nyc area ?
There are really only 2 radios:GRE Radios PSR-600 and Uniden Scanners BCD996XT . Radio Shack is customer unfriendly, and very slow to incorporate firmware fixes and improvements. Uniden and GRE make radios for them, and they are both good about firmware updates, but RS delays firmware updates from both. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations.
Also see: BCD996XT vs GRE PSR-600(at the end)
The basic considerations are as follows:

1. GRE is more sensitive(gets weaker signals), but that very feature makes them prone to overload if in the city or near any type of radio/TV/cell towers. Previously, GRE was better with digital, but I think that difference has been minimized with the latest firmware from Uniden...see how important firmware can be.
  2. Uniden does not overload as much (hence is not as sensitive), and generally has more features, which you will probably appreciate once you are familiar. For example, they skip over encrypted communications, while GRE just hangs on them producing annoying noise. Also has GPS system control (limited value for a Base unit), and Fire Tone outs (limited value IMHO)
  3. You really need software to program and better understand a digital radio. There is an excellent program for Unidens that is free: FreeScan. GRE typically costs $30-$40

You will find diehards in either camp, but I think they all generally agree on the points above. My own personal opinion is that Uniden's are a little easier to understand and program, BUT NONE are easy to program. You really need software, and some patience, and then some help from members on this site when you get stuck on something.

Last edited:

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
There are really only 2 radios:GRE Radios PSR-600 and Uniden Scanners BCD996XT . Radio Shack is customer unfriendly, and very slow to incorporate firmware fixes and improvements. Uniden and GRE make radios for them, and they are both good about firmware updates, but RS delays firmware updates from both. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations.

CaptClint: Do you really find GRE to be better on customer relations? I have always considered Uniden top dog in that regard, especially considering a Uniden rep responds to questions in the Radio Reference forums and on Yahoo radio lists. In my opinion, he seems to care greatly about customers and their happiness with Uniden products. Did you perhaps mispeak and intend to say Uniden? Thanks (just curious). :confused:

DonS

especially considering a Uniden rep responds to questions in the Radio Reference forums and on Yahoo radio lists.

GRE representatives monitor and post on various forums, including RR and a few Yahoo lists. They just don't put "GRE" in their user names or other profile info.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
GRE representatives monitor and post on various forums, including RR and a few Yahoo lists. They just don't put "GRE" in their user names or other profile info.

Sorry, Don! I thought of you as a software developer/expert. I have seen you answer non-software questions, but I thought that, like the rest of us, you were doing so out of the kindness of your heart, rather than as an official representative of one of the scanner companies. Please consider adding some kind of title to avoid confusion in the future. You have my sincerest apologies!

DonS

No apology necessary. It's not generally advertised (and probably won't be) that I have an "official" relationship with GRE, though I think most long-time RR members know about it.

Of course, not all of my comments on every forum are made as a "representative" of GRE - only those comments having to do with technical aspects, features, etc. of various GRE-made scanners.

Yes, I'm primarily a software developer... where, for the last few years, the overwhelming majority of that software has been running inside GRE scanners.

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
of coarse its going be split 50-50 between gre and uniden users...just do the research and listen to the opinions and pick what you think is right with you

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
of coarse its going be split 50-50 between gre and uniden users...just do the research and listen to the opinions and pick what you think is right with you

I would like to believe that a significantly larger percentage of us buys from both companies because each brand has its own strong points, and because there's a tendency to want to "test out" different radios in one's own location. I personally prefer the Uniden DMA and other features, but I couldn't resist Radio Shack's (GRE) great sales prices. If only Uniden had similar sales. :)

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I am currently running a 396xt and a 106 side by side and they are pretty close. I think I have favored how the 396 works over the 106.

Drafin

Many people (myself included) own or have owned both brands of scanner and will continue to do so. Basically it all boils down to the each individual needs in a scanner.

Someone blindly saying one brand or the other is better is about as foolish as someone taking just that person's advice. GRE and Uniden both have situations where one will out perform the other.

The blind loyalty to one brand or the other is pretty humorous and it breed the spreading of falsehoods about the other brand.

Draf

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

duchee said:
you got questions we got answers. bull****. they couldnt answer anything! lol

Touché. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.