Digital TV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilbcnu43

I live in spokane and found two analog TV channels at 203.75MHz and 583.75MHz which are audio frequncies for TV channels 11 and 32. Yet we don't have TV stations for those channels. Never the less ABC and Daystar TV Network are booming out here and it's not intermod. It's my understand with the end of analog TV that audio should be digital, I shouldn't be able to hear this...yet there it is.....No analog video, just audio. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks...Ron

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am fairly certain that there are still some low power stations and translators on the air broadcasting NTSC (analog). However, if you are certain there is no associated video, that makes me think you are picking up some wireless microphones. Those mics do not broadcast with that much power though, so you'd need to be close.

Are you able to find that same audio on any other frequencies? Perhaps you are picking up images for some IFB or remote link.

n5ims

I live in spokane and found two analog TV channels at 203.75MHz and 583.75MHz which are audio frequncies for TV channels 11 and 32. Yet we don't have TV stations for those channels. Never the less ABC and Daystar TV Network are booming out here and it's not intermod. It's my understand with the end of analog TV that audio should be digital, I shouldn't be able to hear this...yet there it is.....No analog video, just audio. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks...Ron

These two signals are most likely low power TV stations, which weren't required to move to digital TV broadcasting as part of the move we all got new TVs for a few years ago.

The channel 11 signal is probably the low power station KXMN-LP licensed to SPOKANE TELEVISION, INC. in the city of Spokane, WA. (FCC data for them --> TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA)

The channel 32 signal is probably the low power station KDYS-LP licensed to WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC. in the city of Spokane WA. (FCC data for them --> TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA) Please note that KDYS-LP has an application to change from analog to digital so this station will probably move sometime in the near future.

ilbcnu43

Thanks for the two replies,

To the first, its not a wireless mic as both peg my S-meter all over town. To the second, I thought when digital came, analog was ban, I didn't consider low power stations might still exist. But the 203.75 is the local ABC afiliate which I would think uses high power. And if it was a low power station, I would think I'd see video on my analog TV. I've tried to verify the audio on the analog TV but it mutes audio when no video is present. Oh...I've verified the audio on three different scanners so it's not intermod or cheap front-end.

ilbcnu43

Ok, the links cleared it up for me, I just thought that the FCC totally did away with analog, so I had a hard time wrapping my brain around this one. But I still don't understand why I can't see video. Thanks for the help....Ron

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ok, the links cleared it up for me, I just thought that the FCC totally did away with analog, so I had a hard time wrapping my brain around this one.
It was less than 1 year from the eventual analog cut-off date and there was this "uproar" over the fact that several converter boxes did not do an "RF pass-thru". In other words, if you turn off the converter, the antenna should connect to your TV as if the converter is not there.

The reason? Because the low power stations were going to still be broadcasting in analog for a couple more years. And yes that is now coming to an end too. I believe the end date has already passed for stations on channels 52 to 69 (as that is now the 700 MHz band). We should be seeing the remaining signals cut over soon or they will have to discontinue broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.