discovery vs close call

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I have Uniden: Bcd536hp, SDS 100, & SDS 200 scanners

I am hoping someone can explain the difference between Discovery & Close Call, to me.

thank you for your time.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have Uniden: Bcd536hp, SDS 100, & SDS 200 scanners

I am hoping someone can explain the difference between Discovery & Close Call, to me.

thank you for your time.
Close Call is when you are trying to find a frequency in use nearby, regardless pf whether or not they are already in the database. You can specify one or more bands to be ignored, such as FM radio, among others.

Discovery can be used two ways:
You can set it up to scan a specified range between two frequencies. It will log every one it finds, and can be set to record up to 600 seconds of traffic on the frequency. You can also choose whether you want it to compare what it finds with the database, and whether you want all frequencies found, or only those not already identified.

For trunking Discovery, you specify the system & site. It will log the talkgroups it finds. As with conventional discovery, you can set it to compare it's findings with the database, and record up to 600 seconds of activity. You can also specify whether you want to log and record new items (not in the database), or everything it finds,

For either type of Discovery session, you can review the results on the scanner. Or, with the scanner in mass storage mode, you can review the finding using the Discovery Log Viewer, which is under the drop-down Tools menu in Sentinel. You can import the results and view in Sentinel while returning the scanner to normal operation, or a new Discovery session.