Distance between Ham antenna and Diamond Super Discone antenna for Scanner

DaniGwiz

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking of getting the D130NJ Diamond Super Discone antenna for my Uniden BCD996P2 scanner. My father already has a roof-mounted ham antenna up that he regularly transmits 100 watts out of. The question that I have is, how far should the discone antenna be mounted from my father's ham antenna so as not to fry my scanner's ability to receive?

Last edited:

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
As much horizontal and vertical distance that you can get if they are both mounted on the same mast, separation distance will be your friend.

DaniGwiz

Premium Subscriber
Copy and pasted from my father's text, the Ham Antennas are (he has two roof mounted) :
2m. TRAM 1480

40/20/15/10m Xiegu VG-4
50 watts at 2m. 100 watts on the rest

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Nothing to worry about with the HF antenna, although I would keep a Discone maybe 10ft away to avoid pattern disruption.

For a simple example of the 2m antenna fed with 100w and using a 0dB gain transmit and receive antenna, at 20ft spacing the receive antenna would have a level around 72 milliwatts at the connector. Not super dangerous but not good to feed into some radios. At 50ft spacing it would be around 11.5 milliwatts, Much better and that would not harm any receiver but it will disrupt reception of a scanner.

in real life the Tram antenna has a little gain and the levels should be a little higher.
Copy and pasted from my father's text, the Ham Antennas are (he has two roof mounted) :
2m. TRAM 1480

40/20/15/10m Xiegu VG-4
50 watts at 2m. 100 watts on the rest

DaniGwiz

Premium Subscriber
Nothing to worry about with the HF antenna, although I would keep a Discone maybe 10ft away to avoid pattern disruption.

For a simple example of the 2m antenna fed with 100w and using a 0dB gain transmit and receive antenna, at 20ft spacing the receive antenna would have a level around 72 milliwatts at the connector. Not super dangerous but not good to feed into some radios. At 50ft spacing it would be around 11.5 milliwatts, Much better and that would not harm any receiver but it will disrupt reception of a scanner.

in real life the Tram antenna has a little gain and the levels should be a little higher.
When my dad goes to Ham contests that have a lot of antennas up, he uses a bandpass filter. Would adding a bandpass filter to my scanner potentially help?