DMR Channel Not Decoding

mjdewey

Radio Man, ComL, ComT, Auxcomm
My local county highway department recently put a new UHF DMR repeater on line. I heard the radio shop doing radio checks and range testing. I got the color code, time slot, talk group information and programmed it into my Uniden BCD 536 scanner that has the DMR and NXDN keys installed.

Since the I haven't heard any voice conversations. I have my scanner in search and I am not receiving any voice.

I and receiving data signals is does not decode the talk group, color code or radio ID. It toggles between time slots. The channel doesn't indicate any encryption being used.

Any ideas what is going on?

Ubbe

I heard the radio shop doing radio checks and range testing.
Use whatever you had when hearing those tests to check if they are actually using the repeater.

Program your 536 with that frequency as a conventional channel and mode set to All so you can monitor also in analog to hear if it starts to spurt out data that indicates some activity. If it is unencrypted voice data it will switch to digital and let you monitor it. Try to avoid setting any color code, time slots or TG's as long as the repeater are in a test phase as they can reprogram it at any time.

You can also set that frequency to DND priority so you don't miss anything. Unfortunately Uniden doesn't let you set the recording function to only record selected channels, its either all or nothing, but record all and then scroll thru the result to see if that frequency turns up. It's easier to check recorded files if you use the Universal Scanner Audio Player.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is licensed for DMR. First, set it up as a conventional frequency. Go to the scanner MENU, Manage Favorites, Quick Save Favorites List, Review/Edit System, Quick Save System, Edit Department, Quick Save Department, Edit Channel, New Channel, Enter 453.5625, Set Audio Type, Digital Only, and Search. Exit the menu. You should hear the transmission and the color code will be displayed. Once you determine the color code, go to MENU, Manage Favorites, Quick Save Favorites List, Review/Edit System, New System, DMR One Frequency, Confirm Yes, Edit Site, New Site, Set Frequencies, New Frequency, Enter 453.5625, Set Color Code, Select the color code you found with the conventional system, Press MENU 4 times, Edit Department, New Department, Edit Channel, Enter a random TGID, Exit the menus. Scan the new system and set to ID Search. The TGID's will be displayed when you hear transmissions. One you determine what each TGID is, you can go back and enter the TGID's and alpha tags and delete the random TGID.

BC_Scan

over here on the best coast, :cool: i notice that any entity that has used cell phone for exclusive comm , when they have a new two -way , they are loath to use radio as it is too convenient for cell phone, hence channels go quiet, that is my take away.
I feel that some people just dont want to be heard on a wide open net that unknown others may or may not be listening to