DMR Repeater and match radio question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kk4mei

A local repeater club just anounced they will be putting up a HYTERA DMR repeater. I know nothing about this mode of comunacation and would like to know if a radio should work on this system?

here is the club anouncement D-Star Radio Club International - Home

and here is a radio in my budget DP770 - Products - Kirisun Communications Co.,Ltd

will the kirisun work on the hytera repeater?

also these radios I could save up for in a few months

motorola XPR 7550

HYTERA PD78X

my next question is the compatabilty between the 3 hy radios?

gregg22

Since you are getting a Hytera repeater I would definitely go with the Hytera pd 782.The advanced features such as texting,roaming and gps are proprietary to each manufacturer.Plus a color display pd782 is available for about 500.00 or less brand new if you shop around.

K

kk4mei

Since you are getting a Hytera repeater I would definitely go with the Hytera pd 782.The advanced features such as texting,roaming and gps are proprietary to each manufacturer.Plus a color display pd782 is available for about 500.00 or less brand new if you shop around.

okay so the hytera and motorola would have limited comunacation between each other? And the motorolas features would not work with the hytera repeater?

if so what would work and what wouldn't?

n1ip

okay so the hytera and motorola would have limited comunacation between each other? And the motorolas features would not work with the hytera repeater?

if so what would work and what wouldn't?

Let's be clear... There is no conflict with a Motorola or Hytera radio on the same repeater, both will work just fine. The repeater can be either moto or Hytera.

The issue comes to play at the internet networking level. Neither Hytera or Mototrbo are compatible at the Ip level, they both use different protocols.

So, trying to link a hytera repeater to mototrbo repeater at the digital side is a challenge at the moment... I say at the moment because it's just a matter of software and figuring out the protocols.

Alan

gregg22

Sorry if I wasn't clear.you can most certainly talk on any dmr repeater with any dmr radio.I use my hytera on a moto system every day,what you cant do is use some of the more advanced features such as texting,roaming and a few others between different manufacturers .As a example I use my hytera on a motorola network every day,I just cant send someone a text,no a big deal to me. As Alan has said who knows if this isnt going to change

N4KVE

I'd stick with a well known branded radio, than purchase an unknown Chinese branded radio to save a few bucks. I recently purchased a used Motorola DMR radio for $150. It works great, & there are plenty options to fix it in the USA should it have problems. [probably will outlast me] Where will you send that radio should it need repair? China, or is there a local US importer. Most of us here in Florida use Motorola radios on a 7 repeater [Hytera] system. There is nothing the Motorola radios can't do that the Hytera's can. Welcome to DMR, but choose a proven radio that everyone uses.

kf4ixa

I'd stick with a well known branded radio, than purchase an unknown Chinese branded radio to save a few bucks. I recently purchased a used Motorola DMR radio for $150. It works great, & there are plenty options to fix it in the USA should it have problems. [probably will outlast me] Where will you send that radio should it need repair? China, or is there a local US importer. Most of us here in Florida use Motorola radios on a 7 repeater [Hytera] system. There is nothing the Motorola radios can't do that the Hytera's can. Welcome to DMR, but choose a proven radio that everyone uses.

Gary,

Can you advise which system you are referring to? I only know of a couple of Hytera systems in Florida. (Some of the websites for the different systems are not up to date it seems.)

I have just recently purchased a 782 and would like to program in all the available systems.

Thanks,

Eric KF4IXA

kf4ixa

Thanks Gary. I actually thought about that after I posted. I'm already set up with those repeaters, just waiting for the Ft Myers repeater to come back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.