DNR Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
DNR (Area 4) has advised all units to switch to the new 700 system (MD First) as their VHF side is down. Note that MD First is not fully functional if not at all other than doing testing in Southern Maryland. I haven’t heard of any of the officers using the First System in the past, you can tell by how the person sounds when they communicate on the VHF frequencies as to what system they are using. This should be interesting, I’ll see if I can copy anyone on the First System.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I heard what could have been a radio tech or a higher up person say that switching to the 700 Area 4 won’t work and they have implemented a multi tower patch but didn't catch the channel or talk group. Note that one was talking on the VHF system and the other was on the First System. I have heard nothing on my end monitoring Area 4 on the First System.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I heard what could have been a radio tech or a higher up person say that switching to the 700 Area 4 won’t work and they have implemented a multi tower patch but didn't catch the channel or talk group. Note that one was talking on the VHF system and the other was on the First System. I have heard nothing on my end monitoring Area 4 on the First System.
What site of FIRST are you monitoring?

I don't *think* there is a connection from DNR's dispatch center at Sandy Point to Zone 5 yet - or between the simulcast sites - so I'm not sure how using FIRST could function. But they did have temporary links set up for testing - not sure if those were torn down. I guess they could put a dispatcher at each area office, and talk back to Sandy Point by telephone...

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Southern Maryland sites
What FIRST tg did you hear traffic on? The Zone 5 (Southern MD / NCR) sites aren't completely connected as a wide area network, and I was unaware they granted any traffic at this point (other than technicians) - most tgs are denied.

KB9ERX

Premium Subscriber
A bit tangent to the conversation, but for maus92: I keep a radio dedicated to the St. Mary's Simulcast with record enabled, and I mostly catch traffic on 7640(SYSCOM to MSP), some 7648(HELIMED), and an oddity of Dorchester County EMS TGs occasionally.

I just checked recording for the week, and nothing for DNR. Usual random catches of TPR6, TPR4 and TPR2 with SYSCOM. I may put an SDR/Unitrunker back on stare on the St. Mary's site for a week, and report my findings.

I have another radio focused on the traditional VHF channels, and it has been quiet. I do recall hearing traffic last weekend with an announcement that technicians would be working on the (VHF) system, and that it would be out for an hour +.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A bit tangent to the conversation, but for maus92: I keep a radio dedicated to the St. Mary's Simulcast with record enabled, and I mostly catch traffic on 7640(SYSCOM to MSP), some 7648(HELIMED), and an oddity of Dorchester County EMS TGs occasionally.

I just checked recording for the week, and nothing for DNR. Usual random catches of TPR6, TPR4 and TPR2 with SYSCOM. I may put an SDR/Unitrunker back on stare on the St. Mary's site for a week, and report my findings.

I have another radio focused on the traditional VHF channels, and it has been quiet. I do recall hearing traffic last weekend with an announcement that technicians would be working on the (VHF) system, and that it would be out for an hour +.
I have seen the MIEMSS tgs grant traffic on other Zone 5 sites as well, but I'm not sure if the comms were completed successfully. They *may* have kept the links used for testing up, but the backhaul is not yet provisioned for normal amounts of traffic. Perhaps the helicopters are hitting those sites from a distance, or maybe they make exceptions for MIEMSS tgs to actually be granted given the nature of the calls they handle.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also thinking a bit, perhaps if there are some existing hops between SHA towers that go to each prime site, they could reconfigure the routers, and push new programming to the site controllers to enable the DNR tgs. I imagine they are using cell phone if their VHF hasn't be restored yet.

Last edited:

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
If you are a DNR geek like me, right now Area 3, Area 4 and Area 1 are all patched in together and can be heard on the VHF frequencies. Interesting that they have jurisdiction in the ocean !

hill

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that areas 1, 3 and 4 are patched. Kind of weird the to have area 1 in that mix when it's always had been patched to area 2 the Upper Eastern Shore.

Most patched areas are: Areas 1 and 2
Areas 3 and 4
Areas 5 and 6
Areas 7 and 8

I receive most other MNRP areas on First other the two Western Areas 7 and 8 in Eastern Baltimore County.

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
If you are a DNR geek like me, right now Area 3, Area 4 and Area 1 are all patched in together and can be heard on the VHF frequencies. Interesting that they have jurisdiction in the ocean !
Very interesting. I'm become a DNR need myself. I noticed DNR just got approved by the FCC for some VHF licenses recently. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I had no idea they still patched to VHF. What still uses VHF in their network?

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
All of the VHF frequencies still work and if the area is using First then it’s also being patched through the VHF frequencie. I hope this something they will continue for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.