• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do truckers still use CB Radios?

slowmover

I was today and yesterday back to using a non-DSP GALAXY DX-86V until I’d checked out the Q5 for a problem.

Nothing else changed on big truck. (Expensive DC power & antenna system).

No wonder men give up as it’s hell to which to listen even that which they can hear . . forget opening SQ & RF Gain fully.

Passivity won’t produce results.
Acting, not wishing.

The context link above (with real depth past this quote):

Society will divide between avid consumers of their own digital reflection, and the reality-based community.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
If I had a choice between CB and ham radio for travel I would chose CB. It is quite most of the time. When there is a major incident on a road with a long back up the truckers usually turn on the radio and you can get some useful info, hopefully before you hit the traffic. Even you get stuck in the traffic you can listen to the trucker ramblings that can be funny, but not really for family listening. Some comments would make the saltiest of sailors blush.

slowmover

All services have their place. Only one includes all comers (is how to look at it).

When the chips are down it’s the as-yet unmet cousin who comes through in our moment of need. We serve the same, in return.

Mobile HF enjoyed by many. I’ve had opportunity to admire various screwdriver antenna set-ups . . .

. . and have yet to have such an operator return my greeting on AM-19.

IMO, it’s a fundamental mistake to be out on the road and far from home without the immediate ability to speak with men around me.

(Below) Will do 90% of what’s desired for 11-Meter.

IMG_4059.jpeg

Save the Tarheel II for a rest area.

slowmover

If I haven’t mentioned it earlier in this thread, it’s funny to give a shout to passing four-wheelers sporting a CB antenna.

Most don’t have them “on”.

Them that do fumble with the mic, “Who, ME?”

“Yeah, you. Want to try a range test as you’re already pulling away from me?”

That man gets a very good mile range estimate when we include local topography, etc, in the final description. (2-miles is a passing grade, 5-7 miles is what’s wanted, true minimum).

A range test also wakes up other operators and if one has an NRC-radio + high fidelity sound reproduction one can help the first man and others dial in the TX quality they’ve wanted all along. (Familiarity with radio controls, what to change & how to estimate are helpful).

This new “work group” assembled on tbe fly also brings reports of conditions far in advance of its’ position as an excellent rig means by inference that such matters to you. (Note such by mile marker, etc, as you travel). Those other men have them for this as well.

I’ve heard some truly outstanding four wheeler mobile rigs and they almost always outperform big truck systems even when both are done right.

HONDA Odyssey minivan is King of the Road given tested high-performance Citizen Band is the goal.

That’s one helluva unit-body vehicle. As an aero egg on wheels carrying 3-6 pax it’s truly at home on the Interstate. A portable refrigerator/freezer plus a camp toilet it’s vehicle type wanted to avoid C-stores, and be prepared for major road problems such as highway shutdowns.

Arguments about fuel economy don’t hold water compared to risk evaluation & solution for the family Conestoga. And greater stability at speed versus BOF pickups & SUV.

Radio
is how to leverage that vehicles’ innate design to best effect. Knowing how to plan a trip (details) is duty. Radio makes Dads job easier.

Last edited:

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
When we travel on road trips, I always have my President McKinley and Larsen NMO27 turned on. We drive a Honda Passport which has a nice large roof area under the antenna and we have talked to people as far away as 5-7 miles or more many times as determined by comparing mile markers. I am glad to see that distance is considered to be a worthy benchmark for CB range performance.

slowmover

5-7/miles is an always reasonable expectation given proper installation and non-adverse conditions in my experience talking with four-wheelers.

Less than that is unfortunately more common as they’ve cut corners, somewhere. (Antenna mount + location being top bad choice).

At 2-3/miles most stand out for the amount of fade having occurred (gone, or nearly so).

SmileySixguns

I was coming home from a darts tournament very late last night and passed two 18-wheelers going the other way. I asked them for a radio check and the lead truck answered, but he automatically assumed it was the truck behind him asking. Most of the 4 wheelers aren't equipped anymore and he wouldn't have seen my antenna at night. But we chatted briefly as we were headed in opposite directions.

slowmover

I was coming home from a darts tournament very late last night and passed two 18-wheelers going the other way. I asked them for a radio check and the lead truck answered, but he automatically assumed it was the truck behind him asking. Most of the 4 wheelers aren't equipped anymore and he wouldn't have seen my antenna at night. But we chatted briefly as we were headed in opposite directions.

Correct assumption.

Even the 4-wheelers with antennas don’t have the radio turned on, all too often.

slowmover

The Deadly Hours​

On average, U.S. commuters lose over 50 hours of their time in rush hour traffic every year. In addition to being a frustrating drive, NHTSA data found that this time frame is also the most dangerous in some states.

The number of fatal traffic accidents across various parts of the U.S. increases after 5pm, peaking between 9pm and 10pm.

IMG_4390.jpeg

This is reported to be an outcome of various factors:

1). low visibility at night,
2). glaring headlights,
3). more cars on the road,
4). and a higher number of drunk drivers.

In some states, regional geography and weather also contribute to dangerous road conditions, including:

a). hills and mountains,
b). rain,
c). snow,
d). and strong winds.

(Edit: let’s add road choice and vehicle load for big trucks; factors adding to the truck driver burden).

Another factor is congestion. More populated states with longer average commutes like California and Maryland had the most dangerous time to drive as later (between 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.), while central states with smaller populations like Kansas and South Dakota had earlier peak dangerous times (between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.)

(from Zero Hedge; 01/04/24)

Last edited:

slowmover

Re above:

Ideally, one starts a long trip early (pre-dawn) and continues over the following 12-hours being finished for the day by/before 1700.

I). As with posts above, truck drivers and others are liveliest early in the day. The radio is a “better” tool. (Even a poor radio system does okay).

II). Late day sees exhaustion, and less likelihood of use. Distant Early Warning is harder to obtain. (A premium system is now paying for itself).

— Those truck drivers on-air late in the day are fewer, plus being farther apart.

Road, Load, Traffic & Weather. These are the built-in driving challenges — the conditions — and they each increase in effect on the driver over the course of the day if for no other reason than clock time.

One wants very best ears:

IMG_3834.jpeg
President George II (FCC).

Last edited:

SmileySixguns

I had to run some errands today and heard some guys using CBs for work. In my vicinity, there's almost always some chatter and noise on Ch 19. But as I was sitting at a red light, I heard some very clear comms come in on the channel. One guy was mentioning navigating across "the skinny bridge". That immediately got me interested, so as I was looking around I noticed an F350 coming down the road pulling a trailer with rather large brand new shed on it. Up ahead of him was another truck operating as a pilot vehicle. They were chattering back and forth, which I thought was pretty cool.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I had to run some errands today and heard some guys using CBs for work. In my vicinity, there's almost always some chatter and noise on Ch 19. But as I was sitting at a red light, I heard some very clear comms come in on the channel. One guy was mentioning navigating across "the skinny bridge". That immediately got me interested, so as I was looking around I noticed an F350 coming down the road pulling a trailer with rather large brand new shed on it. Up ahead of him was another truck operating as a pilot vehicle. They were chattering back and forth, which I thought was pretty cool.

One of the things I like about CLOSE CALL on the SDS100, you can get the skinny on a lot of stuff close to you going on, even if it's not programmed in.

I never hear any trucker chit-chat on Ch19, even with two different types of scanners monitoring. As a kid in the 70's, CB radios were cool!
I have a handheld CB that I will turn on and listen to. Rarely I hear anything besides 6. I will test 19 and call out, "Testing and radio check Channel 19", from time to time I will get someone that will respond.

slowmover

View attachment 168727View attachment 168728

them antennas are hooked to bearcat 980. never mind the patch on my fender.never know who did it to my truckView attachment 168729

My all-time favorite tractor. A T660 similar from when I was a tanker-yanker. The sight-line ergonomics can’t be beat.

I’ve missed those overhead stereo speakers ever since. Got the paperwork . . crack the whip, time to get gone.

A DDEC-2 500 Detroit and a 13 thru a 3.55? “Yeah, Boss”. That’d be my Lotto winner.

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

I ran an AM/SSB GALAXY 86V with a pair of PRO-COMM Quad Wraps. A KL kicker as the crutch for the big truck/short antenna problem when 22W thru each antenna weren’t gittin’ it dun.

IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0754.jpeg

The W-M Radio DSP Speaker was the pre-NRC lifesaver.

“Hey, driver, who the hell you talking to?” (as they didn’t have the ears to hear the other man with whom I’d been speaking several minutes).

IMG_0466.jpeg

Last edited: