Does Giles County use analog or digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaac

My mother is getting a friend of ours a scanner, but she didn't know which type to get. Does anyone know if Giles County is still using analog or have they gone digital? If they are still analog, any idea when or if they will go digital?

She's using my uncle's very old scanner at the moment so I'm guessing that one would be analog.

Thanks for any help.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Lisa & welcome. I am not from that area, but according to the information in the database here, Giles is all analog. I don't really know of any plans to go digital in the near future, but I am guessing (only guessing) not.

You should be good with an analog scanner. The only thing your friend would miss is the Va State Police and other state agencies, but I believe in that area they may still have some analog repeaters working that you could listen to, anyway.

John

Premium Subscriber
The state is planning on adding some additional STARS sites in the near future to eliminate the need for the simulcast on the old analog system. I don't know when this will happen but I am told it will be fairly soon.

As far as Giles goes, I have heard no plans for them to go digital but there are sales people out there trying to convince some of the smaller localities to go with things like MotoTRBO and NextEDGE to make them more "secure" from the scanner listeners. So anything is possible as these localties work towards meeting the narrowband requirements.

John

csxfanimrkva

Giles FCC licenses

They are licensed for P25 on their channels when you do a search. I don't know if this is just a possibility but perhaps you'd want to look into a digital scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.