HP-2: Does the HP2 have ID Search / Scan capability like my SDS100?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I recently acquired an HP2 scanner and I am enjoying its many features. One feature it doesn't seem to have is the ID Search / Scan feature that my SDS100 and BC15TX scanners have. Or maybe it's there and I'm just missing it? I've looked thru Mark's easier to read manual for the HP2 and didn't see any mention of it, but it's been a long day, I'm tired and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders at the moment. LOL

I like to set up a trunking system with just one TGID, set the scanner to ID Search, log the "unknown" TGID's for what can be picked up in my area, and program them into the scanner manually. Yeah, I know, seems like a lot of extra work, but I don't mind.

Speaking of logging, is there any software for the HP2 that does logging? I usually use Proscan for logging, but it looks like PS doesn't support the HP2.

Any information, insights and/or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired an HP2 scanner and I am enjoying its many features. One feature it doesn't seem to have is the ID Search / Scan feature that my SDS100 and BC15TX scanners have. Or maybe it's there and I'm just missing it? I've looked thru Mark's easier to read manual for the HP2 and didn't see any mention of it, but it's been a long day, I'm tired and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders at the moment. LOL

I like to set up a trunking system with just one TGID, set the scanner to ID Search, log the "unknown" TGID's for what can be picked up in my area, and program them into the scanner manually. Yeah, I know, seems like a lot of extra work, but I don't mind.

Speaking of logging, is there any software for the HP2 that does logging? I usually use Proscan for logging, but it looks like PS doesn't support the HP2.

Any information, insights and/or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)
As the link Doc posted notes, you can do ID Search. Set the option in Sentinel before you write the Favorites list to the scanner. Or, if you have the Extreme Upgrade, you can get to the Advanced Menu to Edit a Favorites list. Then, go to the system in edit mode & turn ID Search on using the System options.

The only third party software for the HP-1/-2 is ARC Patrol. That does programming, and, if you have the Extreme Upgrade, you can use Virtual Control. The website description does not mention whether or not it does logging, and I don't have the software to check.

What I do, when trying to locate new talkgroups on a trunked system, is to set the scanner to record all activity. Then, I pull the recordings onto my laptop & use the Universal Scanner Audio Player to review them. The recording files are shown in a spreadsheet. You can set a filter to focus on a single TGID. Then, sort the recordings by date & time, so that you have a better chance of hearing a conversation, making it more likely to help you determine who is using that talkgroup, and for what purpose.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
.....The only third party software for the HP-1/-2 is ARC Patrol. That does programming, and, if you have the Extreme Upgrade, you can use Virtual Control. The website description does not mention whether or not it does logging, and I don't have the software to check.
I downloaded the trial version of ARC Patrol, and it looks like it does have a logging function when using Virtual Control. I don't know if it's because I'm using the trial version, but more likely because I don't have the extreme upgrade (yet), but when I try to use the virtual control, I get an error message stating "communication error; check USB port selection ." However, it doesn't offer up any comm ports to choose from. Ah well, no biggie. I'll try your idea of recording everything and then sorting thru the TGIDs with that audio player you provided the link to.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!

(y)

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the trial version of ARC Patrol, and it looks like it does have a logging function when using Virtual Control. I don't know if it's because I'm using the trial version, but more likely because I don't have the extreme upgrade (yet), but when I try to use the virtual control, I get an error message stating "communication error; check USB port selection ." However, it doesn't offer up any comm ports to choose from. Ah well, no biggie. I'll try your idea of recording everything and then sorting thru the TGIDs with that audio player you provided the link to.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!

(y)
Correct - you need the extreme upgrade.