SDS100/SDS200: Does Uniden offer an extended warranty?

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Does Uniden offer an extended warranty for the SDS100 at all?
I read another thread where someone mentioned that bearcat warehouse offers one, but unfortunately, I bought my SDS100 direct from uniden themselves.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity - have you ever worked retail?

I ask because it'd give you some insight concerning 'add on' warranties.
They are considered gravy and are almost all profit and the salespeople are paid very well on them.
"Hooked another one", "got another sucker', etc, etc. are common.
A big national 'big box' retailer's salespeople call it "spice".

Almost every authoritative source will tell you to avoid them - basically are not worth it.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

They are considered gravy and are almost all profit and the salespeople are paid very well on them.

Almost every authoritative source will tell you to avoid them - basically are not worth it.
Agreed. Although I started purchasing extended bumper to bumper coverage starting with a Plymouth Voyager and it paid for itself and then some when I needed a new compressor for the air conditioner and another high ticked item if forget. If I had to pay out of pocket it would have cost me more than the extended warranty. But I’m with you on those items that would charge you more than a certain percentage of the replacement cost. And Uniden is a good example of that when one of their cheaper scanners break. If I have to pay $100 repair bill when the radio only cost under $200, I’m putting the $100 repair cost towards the purchase of a new replacement… and possibly upgrade in the process. The old one becomes a boat anchor or it goes into the spare parts bin!

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber

No, I have never worked retail. I work for a UPS store.
I have read numerous articles on the subject, which concludes the same thing as mentioned above.
Forgot about the information above until now.
No, uniden themselves does not offer an extended warr. What they do is offer fixed price service at about $100 when the warranty expires.

That does not include physical damage
At least that is better than nothing.

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
If you purchased the radio with a credit card, you should check to see if the credit card offers warranty extension as a feature. Some do.
Forgot about that too.
I did purchase it using a credit card & visa does offer an extended warranty on purchases for free.

Just registered my SDS100 for said extended warranty.

Last edited: