Doesn't seem right

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

While moving through the Forums 'home' menu, I will come across a (previously unread) thread title in a forum that peaks my interest. The forum is one that I do not routinely visit.

If I hover over the thread title, it will direct me to the 'first unread message'. Since I have never encountered this thread, I expect to be taken to the first message. However, when clicking the title, I will always be taken well down the list of posts.

I suspect that this might be a bug, since threads with new posts are properly highlighted (cookies enabled). Am I wrong in my thinking?

Amp

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
If I click on the thread title under the "Last Post" column from the main page it takes me directly to that post. Maybe when clicking it your browser is going to somewhere it thinks the post is yet there was an issue with the way the page loaded so there's a lineup issue. I can't say for sure.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
While moving through the Forums 'home' menu, I will come across a (previously unread) thread title in a forum that peaks my interest. The forum is one that I do not routinely visit.

If I hover over the thread title, it will direct me to the 'first unread message'. Since I have never encountered this thread, I expect to be taken to the first message. However, when clicking the title, I will always be taken well down the list of posts.

I suspect that this might be a bug, since threads with new posts are properly highlighted (cookies enabled). Am I wrong in my thinking?

Amp
As far as I am aware, it has always worked that way. It assumes that you have read all the messages, in ALL the threads, up to the last time you visited, whether you have or not, so will only show any new posts since the last time you visited.

--
Comint

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As far as I am aware, it has always worked that way. It assumes that you have read all the messages, in ALL the threads, up to the last time you visited, whether you have or not, so will only show any new posts since the last time you visited.
This is my understanding also. When you leave the site (or if you stay on the site but go "inactive" for a period of time) the site software moves you along to whatever the present status is of all posts. When you come back later, using the link you are trying "First Unread" will take you to either the last post in the thread or, if it has been posted to since you left, the first unread based on the above time/leaving scenario.

The answer for your specific question is to click on the name of the thread, that link always takes you to the top of the thread.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Today I was reading a post, I was logged on, and when I went to post a reply it told me i was not logged on and i had to relog on...What's with that????

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Today I was reading a post, I was logged on, and when I went to post a reply it told me i was not logged on and i had to relog on...What's with that????
I don't know that this was the case in your instance; however, if you are reading a loaded page and the site software is altered (by an update or server shift) your sign in is invalided. Hence, you need to log in again.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
doesn't make sence

Once you log in you should stay logged in untill you log off or disconnect. Shouldn't matter if something is updated elsewear,( except total system) and if it isjust a page ot forum update, you should just have to refresh and be back on. It showed me as logged in, and still made me relog on...Something is screwy there... I should think Log on would be a universal function keeping you in the system untill log off or shutdown..
Maybe "God" can answer this one..?

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It sounds like a cookie issue since they have a hand in logging in/on/out/off. Which browser are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.