Downtown Phoenix Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesocyclone

Agreed on not streaming sensitive stuff. I was listening the day the incident happened that caused PPD to encrypt the "chase" (Charlie Deck) channels. In that case, it was media misbehavior - turning up at the suspect's home before the police even got there, at a time when the active shooter (and killer) had disappeared and was thought to be heading there.

And... it's not just police that worry about these things. I know - I'm trying to prevent it in an organization I'm part of.

I'd hate to see more stuff encrypted - it's one reason I don't post sensitive stuff at the time I hear it.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
I agree that PSAP and G-Deck should not be streamed. This puts sensitive operational intelligence right in the hands of any bad guy with a cell phone. This will lead to increased use of H-Deck and encryption of the G-Deck as soon as DPS can handle it. While bad guys can buy scanners, most do not. They are too complicated for them. They tend not to be the sharpest tools in the shed.

We shouldn't be compromising police operations and putting our brave defenders and protectors at risk.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
They're gearing up for tonight G6 is active and so is Capitol 460.4125. And we knew this was going to happen but they pulled Minneapolis from the streaming site. I listened to them last night. I assume 620 is Phx HQ, correct?

KB7MIB

ADOT Enforcement has been active with ramp closures.
AZWIN TG 1109
Edit: It now sounds like this may be in Tucson. Mention of Speedway.

DPS Capitol District in Phoenix is not receiveable at my location. It must not be a wide area repeater.

I also have not heard any activity on the US Federal Protective Service Police channel, 409.4000 in a couple of years, at least. This used to be a wide area repeater as well.

John
Peoria

AzTac

The RWC administrators would be very wise to promptly encrypt G Deck or move this traffic to H deck. The costs associated would prove a wise investment.

I simply cannot understand why people who are allegedly avid scanner hobbyists continue to jeopardize their own interests (and ours) by feeling the need to impress us with their supposed expertise (you know who you are...) and broadcast to the world where to find sensitive/tactical radio traffic. You'll largely have yourself to blame when your own hobby is rendered obsolete.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I haven't had much time to listen today, but there are a few more channels active tonight.

DPS Capitol District 460.4125
State TAC 460.225 - DPS Downtown area
RWC G3 Scottsdale
RWC G4 Scottsdale
RWC G5 Command
RWC G6 Phoenix Downtown
RWC G9 DPS
RWC G10 Phoenix
RWC G12 Phoenix Downtown
RWC G13 Phoenix

KB7MIB

State Tac is not a wide-area repeater. It's located atop DPS headquarters on Encanto Blvd, with a yagi aimed at the fairgrounds.

I'm unable to receive it at home near 91st and Peoria Aves. IIRC from the time of the state fair last year, I could start hearing it in the area of 83rd and Grand Aves, off the backside of their antenna, when I went to see if it was in use by DPS at the fair. At that time I also found that there was a constant carrier on the channel, with the CTCSS, that dropped whenever a trooper keyed up. I don't know how the troopers could tolerate hearing that their entire shift at the fair. And it would have to be a drain on their handheld batteries to constantly be receiving that open carrier as well.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

I caught some partial transmissions on the US Federal Protective Service Police channel, 409.4000, P25 NAC 920 a little after 5pm.

I believe that they are now encrypted from what little I caught, in addition to no longer being a wide-area repeater.

If anyone is closer to Downtown, and can confirm, it'd be appreciated.

John
Peoria

Foresigt

In answer to your question, Phoenix PD HQ is located at 620 West Washington Street, so yes, "620" is old timer short hand for their HQ. It dates back to the 1970's.

"620" is not "old timer short hand", it is a recognized designator just like DPS uses KS for Knutson(sp) Station. It has been called 620 or 620 West on the radio since it was built.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
"620" is not "old timer short hand", it is a recognized designator just like DPS uses KS for Knutson(sp) Station. It has been called 620 or 620 West on the radio since it was built.

Old timers started it and used it. Hence, the newer employees picked it up as they were hired. The logical inference being that it was "old timers" that started it and it has progressed to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.