DSD+ FastLane Volume Question

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I am running the most current version of DSD+ FastLane. I scan certain aircraft frequencies and I get a lot of hits. The kerchunk on the hit is loud but the audio of the control tower / air traffic controller is very low. I use the batch file code below to run the scanner. It works well. Is there any volume setting that I can use on a particular line of my scanlist, also shown as an example below, to increase the volume just on certain scanlist frequencies? Thanks!

CHDIR C:\_Files\SDR - Software Defined Radio\sdrsharp-x86\dsd+FASTLANE-FMN Scanner\Z - SCANNER 2
TIMEOUT 1
DELETE DSDPlus.bin
START FMP24 -i3 -P0.0 -s1 -o20007 -wsl0.0 -g36 -n2 -g47 -_2
START DSDPlus -e -fa -i20007 -m1 -_15 -O nul

124.2000 AM BW=12.5 DELAY=3 TC Airport TOWER 1
348.6000 AM BW=12.5 DELAY=3 TC Airport TOWER 2
132.9000 AM BW=12.5 DELAY=3 Miniapolis Center

deathtone

You could do what i do and run the audio from dsd+ to a VST host using virtual audio cable. From there you can use a compressor and auto maximizer plugins to get a nice loud and even sound across all the radios.

Some plugins i use are Quadracom for compression, and Trileveler 2 for volume. I use pedalboard2 as a small vst host.

a417

Why are you using a digital decoding software suite to scan AM frequencies? Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Why not use rtl_fm -M am... and then pipe it into something like sox to normalize? All are F/OSS, all are found on windows/linux/macos, and are much more appropriate to do what you want.

Last edited:

BM82557

Use FMP24 by itself to scan by setting up a scanlist, DSDPLUS is not needed when scanning analog. FMPA can also be configured to scan by setting up a scanlist for it BUT it does not have a squelch option built into it like FMP24 does --

Attachments

• FMP24_Help.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 20

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Why are you using a digital decoding software suite to scan AM frequencies? Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Why not use rtl_fm -M am... and then pipe it into something like sox to normalize? All are F/OSS, all are found on windows/linux/macos, and are much more appropriate to do what you want.

I scan a mix of modes and AM is just a few lines in the scanlist.

a417

I scan a mix of modes and AM is just a few lines in the scanlist.
I see. You're passing -i3, so does that mean this is the 3rd dongle on your system?

Why not dedicate this (or another dongle) to just airband so you can get a more tailored audio pathing? Then you can normalize the airband (which would be the one with the most variation) and maybe get better results?

A swiss-army knife can do almost everything, but it's not the best across the board - like a tailored solution would be.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I see. You're passing -i3, so does that mean this is the 3rd dongle on your system?

Why not dedicate this (or another dongle) to just airband so you can get a more tailored audio pathing? Then you can normalize the airband (which would be the one with the most variation) and maybe get better results?

A swiss-army knife can do almost everything, but it's not the best across the board - like a tailored solution would be.
Today while editing some files it dawned on me what the cause of the volume problem was. In my ScanList file I had specified these frequencies as FM when in fact they were AM. Changed them over to AM and now the volume is booming in as expected. I can't believe I made that simple mistake. I had grabbed a few lines from the list and just changed the frequencies and descriptions but ignored the fact that I also had to change the modes from FM to AM. What a world of difference!

And yes, I do run 4 dongles. One for HF which is started seperately. And three for scanning. One is dedicated the P25 and works like a charm. That leaves two. I run two seperate ones instead of just one to speed scanning. Each one has half the frequencies to scan and so they scan twice as fast. I also can monitor both simultaneously. Thanks for your input!