DSDPlus DSD+ Free release??

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
I've messed with DSD+ back in my early start of using a USB dongle and Untrunker V1 to listen to my local fire/Law after they switched over to their P25 P1 system. Fast forward a few years, DSD+ is now out to like 2.465 version but the Free version, that is stated on their website is still 1.101. While also on their site it said full public releases would be done like every 6 months and that was in a post from 2018.

Early access to features is being offered through the DSD+ Fast Lane program. Fast Lane updates are expected to be released about once per month. Some Fast Lane updates WILL have issues/bugs. That is the nature of alpha software. Fully tested public releases will continue to be released, approximately every 6 months.

I was just wondering, as was thinking of trying the newer version out, are they ever going to release the free version of it? Yeah $10 get's you a year of fast lane but I know I use other software, that's 100% free and has releases (updates) quite regularly. Was just wondering, hell I'd even take a 2.0 version to mess with at this point LOL

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering, as was thinking of trying the newer version out, are they ever going to release the free version of it?

Highly unlikely...the free version is just a trial to see if you can get it working, like many software creators offer, for full features you need the paid version, $10 for a year or $25 for lifetime.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Highly unlikely...the free version is just a trial to see if you can get it working, like many software creators offer, for full features you need the paid version, $10 for a year or $25 for lifetime.
Well when it was stated on their own website that approx every 6 months a free version would be released I think it would be nice to get a somewhat updated version out there for free. At least V2.0 would be nice, as I imagine 1.101 is way out of date for what is available now. I get that to get all the latest and greatest you have to pay but still it just looks screwy by not putting out a somewhat newer version than 1.101 from 2018.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well when it was stated on their own website that approx every 6 months a free version would be released I think it would be nice to get a somewhat updated version out there for free. At least V2.0 would be nice, as I imagine 1.101 is way out of date for what is available now. I get that to get all the latest and greatest you have to pay but still it just looks screwy by not putting out a somewhat newer version than 1.101 from 2018.

If you plan on quoting something on a website, please include the FULL CONTEXT of what you are quoting. What you quote is talking about the Fast Lane version, which is the paid version, NOT the free version.

1.PNG

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Right, "public release" was supposed to be the free version. Guess what? The last free version was released nearly a decade ago in late 2015, the post about Fast Lane was made three years later in late 2018, and here we are in early 2024. Clearly the developer decided long ago that he wasn't giving anything away for free anymore beyond the now ancient 1.101 release. If people are going to continue to pay for Fast Lane, why bother releasing the software updates for free?

Bottom line...if you want the latest and greatest, pay for it like everyone else has done since 2018. $10 is pennies in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
My take is "Fully Tested Public Releases" means free version.

View attachment 157865

If it meant Free Version why is it listed under the Fast Lane section, plus there are some people who get/test beta versions, that most of us never see or hear about, which I take to mean the Alpha software, while the releases that are sent out to everyone are stable, fully tested versions. That is my opinion and how I read it.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

I'm not the author, but I think the likelihood of another free version to replace the one on the website is completely unlikely. There is much more to the paid version for some people, compared to that ancient stuff on the website. If it were to replaced with lets say the current version, there is a good chance nobody would ever get the FastLane version after that.

Hope springs eternal and you can want what you want, but that doesn't mean it'll happen. Pretty sure the author doesn't care that it looks screwy to you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If it meant Free Version why is it listed under the Fast Lane section, plus there are some people who get/test beta versions, that most of us never see or hear about, which I take to mean the Alpha software, while the releases that are sent out to everyone are stable, fully tested versions. That is my opinion and how I read it.
Respectfully, it's pretty clear to everyone else what that paragraph meant. It specifically stated that Fast Lane versions will be released on a monthly cycle, while the public releases will occur on a six month cycle. Pretty cut and dry.

In any case, whatever was posted obviously no longer applies, so there's not really any point arguing over it. I'll repeat myself: if you want the latest, pay for it, full stop.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Respectfully, it's pretty clear to everyone else what that paragraph meant. It specifically stated that Fast Lane versions will be released on a monthly cycle, while the public releases will occur on a six month cycle. Pretty cut and dry.

In any case, whatever was posted obviously no longer applies, so there's not really any point arguing over it. I'll repeat myself: if you want the latest, pay for it, full stop.
Yeah it is pretty cut and dry that there would of been free releases at some point but I guess that ship sailed when the wallet got fatter by the day... Oh well, it will probably never happen but it has been a question I've had for quite some time on it as there apparently have been a lot of updates to it.

I use other software that is free for what I need and just like to mess with other programs from time to time as what I got running now works. I've setup OP25 off of 2 different forks before but went back to using what I am now. Besides having to re-learn how to even run it, have 1.101 on my system here and tried to get it started again, completely lost on it as I used it with an old version of unitrunker back in the day. Guess if I want to mess with it again I will.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it is pretty cut and dry that there would of been free releases at some point but I guess that ship sailed when the wallet got fatter by the day... Oh well, it will probably never happen but it has been a question I've had for quite some time on it as there apparently have been a lot of updates to it.

I use other software that is free for what I need and just like to mess with other programs from time to time as what I got running now works. I've setup OP25 off of 2 different forks before but went back to using what I am now. Besides having to re-learn how to even run it, have 1.101 on my system here and tried to get it started again, completely lost on it as I used it with an old version of unitrunker back in the day. Guess if I want to mess with it again I will.
I don't see a wallet getting fat off of this, not a huge market for it. At $10 a year or $25 lifetime I am betting he has a day job also. You are free to build a user friendly all in one software for the windows people and offer it for free. At what point does your great software take up more of your spare time and people demanding more would you start charging for the software at a very reasonable price?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It's worth $25 USD. I have had 6+ years of fun from it. It only pays for 2 hours of a programmers time. That's cheap.
I don't know where you are finding programmers, but that's a steal. My grass cutters, using my equipment, charge $30/hr per person to mow grass -- way more if they use their equipment. What is a programmer programming for $12.5/hr capable of? "hello world"? :)