DSD+ vs SDRTrunk for DMR?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Just as the title suggests, what are y'alls opinions of DSD+ vs SDRTrunk for DMR? Pros, cons, other comments. I am much more familiar with the DSD+, but wondering about SDRTrunk. What is the procedure for setup of TIII DMR and adding LCNs to the frequencies? If I remember correctly, there is a band plan editor - is this how you set the LCNs or other process? Can a single dongle cover multiple sites given available bandwidth? Thanks

Boingel331

Premium Subscriber
I think SDRTrunk is great for getting started, very easy to use and listen. Here's a good video explaining the software's Tier III setup.
One dongle can absolutely do anything within its available bandwidth.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk is much easier for trunk tracking & importing complex trunked data via RRDB web import service without the need for customizing BAT files & downloading/modifying separate frequency & group files as is needed with DSD+ Fastlane. For Conventional DMR & other digital modes I use DSD+ primarily with SDRConsole or SDR++ for tuning. Although the question about DMR was posed in this thread, one major drawback with SDRTrunk is no NXDN as of date of this posting so that's something else to consider

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just as the title suggests, what are y'alls opinions of DSD+ vs SDRTrunk for DMR? Pros, cons, other comments. I am much more familiar with the DSD+, but wondering about SDRTrunk. What is the procedure for setup of TIII DMR and adding LCNs to the frequencies? If I remember correctly, there is a band plan editor - is this how you set the LCNs or other process? Can a single dongle cover multiple sites given available bandwidth? Thanks

I use both. I don't use SDRTrunk for DMR simply because there is nothing of that much interest to me on DMR that I'd want to set it up. I know that for P25 systems, I find the audio quality better in SDRTRunk.

Sleuthing out new systems, sites, freqs: DSDPlus -- hands down
Monitoring specific systems and frequencies long term with the goal of listening: SDRTrunk

That's how I decide. So I use SDRTrunk on a local P25 simulcast. For anything else I use DSDPlus. I'm always in sleuthing mode.

Kazzaw

Database Admin
Yep, I'm the same as mtindor. For general monitoring/recording, once I've discovered a system SDRTrunk works well and I just leave it do its thing.

If I'm out an about finding new systems or getting data, I'll be using DSDPlus