DSDPlus not decoding P25 aliases

kd7jfv

Database Admin
I'm monitoring the Oregon State Radio Project, Grizzly site, and a friend is monitoring the exact same site. He is getting P25 radio aliases, I am not. I'm currently running the newest version of DSDplus. Any ideas why I'm not getting the auto aliases?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "P25 radio aliases?" Do you mean the numeric RIDs (or SUIDs) or the character labels associated with these IDs? Labels are user defined.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
LOL. What are L3H Talker Alias messages and what are their function?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm monitoring the Oregon State Radio Project, Grizzly site, and a friend is monitoring the exact same site. He is getting P25 radio aliases, I am not. I'm currently running the newest version of DSDplus. Any ideas why I'm not getting the auto aliases?

Make sure under the MISC tab you have selected "Tag TDMA P25 Talkgroups"

1.PNG

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Tag TDMA P25 Talkgroups was not checked. I did receive one alias without that checked but I will report if I get more with it checked. Yes this is a Harris P25 system.

Thank you!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Does your friend get consistent aliases? How is your signal on the site compared to his? Any err in the datastream?

kd7jfv

Database Admin
I am a bit further away from the site that he is monitoring, but I am well within a simulcast cell of the same system - different site. The one radio ID I received was off the simulcast cell, but when I monitor the site that he is getting them from I have very little ERR displayed on DSD+ CC window. Both sites have strong signals where I live. I believe he is getting them consistently.

Enabling Tag TDMA P25 Talkgroups so far only shows "(TDMA)" at the end of a talkgroup alias.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
I don't have that checked and the aliases are coming in for most radios. And this is related to Radio IDs, not talkgroups.
I wiped my previous .radios file out as current edits I had done were not overwritten. Not all aliases coming through, so unsure if they just weren't programmed or not. I had never seen this before (with P25 systems), so not sure if it's a new feature or what.

Sounds like it was the feature added to DSD+ 2.441. I hadn't been in the area I'm currently monitoring for a while, so the aliases are a new thing. :)

Last edited:

kd7jfv

Database Admin
I have ran SDRtrunk and it is decoding every radio "talker alias". I did a clean install of DSDplus and upgraded to the latest fastlane version and i'm still not decoding talker aliases in DSDplus. The problem with SDRtrunk is it doesn't log the numerical radio id and the talker alias so there is no way to document the talker aliases.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
The initial question was a little confusing. Talker Alias is part of the DMR spec. I assume the OP is referring to RIDs.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Talker Alias is part of the DMR spec.
Seems to also be P25

I assume the OP is referring to RIDs.
The op is referring to OTA alias messages on Harris P25 system.

DSD+ 2.441

Added decoding of Harris P25 Talker Alias messages.
Decoded subscriber radio aliases are added to radio entries in the DSDPlus.radios file.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The initial question was a little confusing. Talker Alias is part of the DMR spec. I assume the OP is referring to RIDs.

His terminology might be off, DSD+FL calls them Radio Alias rather than Talker Alias, below were example of what is being received on Harris P25 Phase 2 system (the Radio Alias was not programmed in, they are OTA)

1.PNG2.PNG

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Learned something new again today. I haven't experienced a Harris variant yet.

Radio aliases also show up on many NXDN systems and some DMR systems too. Of course, they will never show up if you aren't using FMP* + DSDPlus and have CTRL --> Combined CC/VC Monitor set. That's because the aliases (when available) are transmitted over the voice channels and not the CC.