DSDplus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
There isn't any P25 conventional frequencies in my area thus I didn't ever mess with it. However, there is an option in the Playlist Editor to add a channel with multiple frequencies. Someone else that has the experience with P25 conventional might chime in and explain how that is set up. My city has full LSM APCO P25 PII TDMA built by L3 Harris Inc..
Yes basically thats what I need...I need help setting up a channel with 4 UHF freqs that use P25 phase I. I have to do it manually because the system I want to use doesn't show up when I log in and search RR. Also the option to set the NAC isn't available so I dont see how I can do this.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I don't use SDRTrunk but looks like you didn't choose the county in the menu. Perhaps when you choose the county the conventional agencies show up. Also, RISCON looks to be selected for the system, maybe when a trunked system is selected, it will not show conventional.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I don't use SDRTrunk but looks like you didn't choose the county in the menu. Perhaps when you choose the county the conventional agencies show up. Also, RISCON looks to be selected for the system, maybe when a trunked system is selected, it will not show conventional.
Tried that but it wont let you see any listings by TOWN.....I tried all counties and all tabs but its not coming up. I am wondering if its not possible to use single frequency p25 phase 1 systems. Or if its possible to manually set up a channel.

Last edited:

Reconrider

Tried that but it wont let you see any listings by TOWN.....I tried all counties and all tabs but its not coming up. I am wondering if its not possible to use single frequency p25 phase 1 systems. Or if its possible to manually set up a channel.
I've used sdrtrunk a little bit.

Explain what you're trying to do and what you've tried so far.

I tried to read the past comments, but easier if you just put it all in one reply.
I understand you want to use a conventional system to listen to - correct?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I've used sdrtrunk a little bit.

Explain what you're trying to do and what you've tried so far.

I tried to read the past comments, but easier if you just put it all in one reply.
I understand you want to use a conventional system to listen to - correct?
OK so I boot up sdrtrunk....log on to RR.....choose Country (US) State (RI) and under Counties, which there are about 6 options, I chose each one individually, and checked each one individually.
There are 5 tabs below where the country/state/county drop down menu is. Those tabs are: County Trunked system, State trunked system, County agencies, State agencies, & National agencies. I looked thru EVERY tab under EVERY county and there is a few trunked systems and very few random non trunked conventional items. There is no access to individual towns like when you go to the RR database to upload systems to your radio. There is just a minimal amount of choices. What I am trying to do is make a channel containing just 4 uhf frequencies that my town police dept uses. They use a P25 conventional NON TRUNKED system. I can easily access this from Proscan, Sentinel and directly from the RR website. But trying to access it from SDRtrunk, its not there. Maybe all SDR trunk will do is only trunked systems (P25) LTR and DMR but NOT individual or conventional. I tried to MANUALLY make a channel and put the 4 freqs in but cant do it and there is no option to enter the NAC. Hopefully this explains it a little clearer. Unfortunately, I am now getting THIS error: see pic

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Reconrider

[[removed]]
Go to RR and get the 4 channels you want to hear.
open sdrtrunk
if you haven't yet, go to view user preferences, JMBE and click create library(or whatever the create words are). let it download - this is for audio

close the preferences screen

under the spectrum and where you see LEFT ----, click Playlist editor
Click the "channels" tab > new > p25 phase 1. Put info for the "system,site,name" as you want to. Only the name really matters.
I think this is the correct way of doing it -- but I don't have any way to test for 100% certainty.
All 4 frequencies will go in the "source" dropbox. Type frequency and press add. Do 3 more times then click save, then play(clicking play will ask you to save).

If it doesn't work, try going to the p25 P2 option under new and clicking "individual channel" to see if that works.

georgew0819

open sdrtrunk
if you haven't yet, go to view user preferences, JMBE and click create library(or whatever the create words are). let it download - this is for audio

Click the "channels" tab > new > p25 phase 1. Put info for the "system,site,name" as you want to. Only the name really matters.
I think this is the correct way of doing it -- but I don't have any way to test for 100% certainty.
All 4 frequencies will go in the "source" dropbox. Type frequency and press add. Do 3 more times then click save, then play(clicking play will ask you to save).

If it doesn't work, try going to the p25 P2 option under new and clicking "individual channel" to see if that works.

From the screen shot you posted you're almost there. If you click the talkgroups tab that appears next to the site tab you will see a list of talkgroups. Below that is a dropdown marked "Category" and you can scroll down that and select Cranston tgs. It will only list the ones for Cranston Fire since Cranston PD is probably encrypted like Newport and other cities in the state.
1613946389570.png1613946389570.png

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK thank you....I will attempt this later after dinner hopefully it will work!:) but I keep getting this error and cannot connect to RR. It was working fine before. I checked if RR was down and the problem is here and I thought it would go away after a restart but it didnt. Dont know if I should re install sdrtrunk over again or just wait. Here is photo clip taken from the sdrtrunk log attached....not sure what is causing it.

Attachments

• e2.JPG
    e2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
From the screen shot you posted you're almost there. If you click the talkgroups tab that appears next to the site tab you will see a list of talkgroups. Below that is a dropdown marked "Category" and you can scroll down that and select Cranston tgs. It will only list the ones for Cranston Fire since Cranston PD is probably encrypted like Newport and other cities in the state.
View attachment 99361View attachment 99361
Cranston is not encrypted, I listen to it regularly on my other scanners. The problem is I CANT get to the Cranston PD freqs via the RR tab.....it just isnt there. I can only import minimal things mostly trunked systems and a small handful of other things non trunked. But the RR tab wont let me go deep enough in RR database to search thru individual towns to get to the freqs I need. Not only that there is NO WAY to set the NAC code so it just doesnt work.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
open sdrtrunk

I was able to set it up manually like you said here. When I go press "play" it is scanning the 4 freqs.....I can see signals coming thru on waterfall.....just no audio and I think its because I have to set the NAC code. SDRTRUNK doesnt have that option. When you look thru the 6 options under "COUNTY" every tab has pretty much the SAME THINGS but nothing referring to INDIVIDUAL TOWNS where you get the freqs you need. Cranston is in Providence County, ok......when you look at the tabs there is NOTHING LISTED for any towns in Providence County. Its like SDRtrunk is limiting what the radio reference database has so I am only seeing MINIMAL things. Look at attached pic....the drop down menu for Providence county ONLY LISTS what you see. It wont let me see individual towns, where I can pick Cranston and pick the 4 freqs!!! And under the other tabs, there is just minimal other things I dont need.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
perhaps you would have better luck on a thread that had SDRTrunk referenced in the title. There is also a SDRTrunk group on Google that is very active.

chris

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I think this is part of the problem.....dont know how to set up this section. I did manually enter the 4 freqs I need and when I press play I can see in "now playing" the 4 freqs scanning. I see signals when theres transmissions in waterfall but still NO AUDIO.

Attachments

• id.JPG
    id.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 6

georgew0819

I think this is part of the problem.....dont know how to set up this section. I did manually enter the 4 freqs I need and when I press play I can see in "now playing" the 4 freqs scanning. I see signals when theres transmissions in waterfall but still NO AUDIO.
In that section click add Identifier and choose ap25 talk group range 0 to 65535. This should allow all unknown talk groups to be heard. That should allow you to determine which ones are pd vs other city services

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see this mentioned in this thread but you need this to decode P25 to voice on SDRTrunk...
This needs to be in your SDRTrunk directory to work.
Pardon me if it was already mentioned...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have in the past added conv p25 freqs and it worked. Unless there are other entities in your receiving area that use those freqs, you should not need a nac. I did not enter one and it worked. The draw back to creating a p25 entry and adding 4 freqs is it will scan and not hold after the transmission. It will start scanning right after the call so if someone talks on freq 1, and they go to respond, and it starts scanning, and there is any activity on freq 2 3 or 4, you might miss the response on freq 1.

Try this, instead of creating 1 p25 entry with 4 freqs, try 4 p25 entries with 1 freq only. Those 4 freqs are close and should fit in a basic dongles bandwidth. I just did it with 4 voice freqs from a local system and I get audio. You can fill in system, site and name anything you want but if you do not assign something to "Name" it will not start.

Capture.JPG

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
In that section click add Identifier and choose ap25 talk group range 0 to 65535. This should allow all unknown talk groups to be heard. That should allow you to determine which ones are pd vs other city services
OK tried that but after I choose ap25 I cant type in the box to set the range "0-65535" it only lets me type in one number.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I didn't see this mentioned in this thread but you need this to decode P25 to voice on SDRTrunk...
This needs to be in your SDRTrunk directory to work.
Pardon me if it was already mentioned...
Yep got that in there!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
This is what I got set up.....I decided to use just 2 freqs because channel 1 & 2 are most active. I can see the 2 freqs scanning.....but I cant set identifier. I click "choose identifier" and picked "ap25 talkgroup" but in the little box to enter "0-65535" it only lets me enter 1 digit. So I entered a "1".....not sure whats gonna happen but it wont let me type in the full "0-65535". And in the "identifier" tab this is what I have...somehow doesnt look right though. still seeing signals on waterfall but no audio.

Attachments

• ch1.JPG
    ch1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ch2.JPG
    ch2.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ch3.JPG
    ch3.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status