Dual/Tri Band Mobile Antenna Suggestion That's Not As Tall As A Tower! :-)

CTWaters

Good afternoon all.

I have a specific question for those with Dual / Tri band, and/or just plain old mobile antennas.

My current setup in the truck is an AnyTone 578UVIII+ with the AnyTone Tri-Band Mobile Antenna. The setup works fantabulous for my needs. Between the antenna and radio, it's no problem to hit repeaters 50'ish miles away.

However, here is where my dilema lies. When the other 1/2 and I take the "Land Yacht" on road trips and whatnot, she would rather not have an antenna that is "as tall as a tower" on top of the vehicle and not be able to go to drive thru's, etc.

Just for Kicks and Giggles, I found this antenna on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6Q6XRNS) and figured I would give it a shot. I'm going to return it because it's not adjustable for SWR, and the averages are 2m=5.7, 1.25m=5.5, 70cm=1.56, and GMRS=3.11. Yes, I know the antenna is only 2/70cm rated, but wanted to try on all the radio is capable of.

While we are traveling, I do most of my talking on 2m/70cm/GMRS. I was wondering if anyone has had any good luck with smaller antennas like the Ghost Antennas and whatnot, but I believe those are mainly GMRS rated.

Going on a trip in early November, and would like to have an antenna on the rig that is somewhat smaller, since the Land Yacht already stands a little over 6' stock. I have a spare SO-239 1 pound mag mount that I can utilize if the antenna fits. Otherwise, I don't care of it's NMO or SO-239.

Thank you all, and have a wonderful evening.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
i use a diamond dual band antenna for 2m/70cm thats aprox 14 inches high which may work on the gmrs freqs and mounts on a nmo mount and isnt that expensive..

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
There are many others on this site with a lot more knowledge and experience but I will speak for them and tell you that those "stealth" antennas suck. Might be OK for 700/800/900 MHz, but for 2m and 70cm? Not so much.

How about this:

That's what I use on road trips.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There are many others on this site with a lot more knowledge and experience but I will speak for them and tell you that those "stealth" antennas suck. Might be OK for 700/800/900 MHz, but for 2m and 70cm? Not so much.

How about this:

That's what I use on road trips.
I use the NMO150/450/800, but the SF (Super Flex) version with the spring. Does fine on VHF and really well on UHF.

Another option is a 19"-ish 1/4 wave VHF antenna, which also acts as a 3/4 wave on UHF, but the 3/4 wave radiation pattern is a little wonky (more up in the air than toward the horizon). At around 16.5" I have found my NMO150/450/800 to perform as well or better than the 1/4 wave on VHF, and certainly better than the 3/4 wave on UHF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just for Kicks and Giggles, I found this antenna on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6Q6XRNS) and figured I would give it a shot. I'm going to return it because it's not adjustable for SWR, and the averages are 2m=5.7, 1.25m=5.5, 70cm=1.56, and GMRS=3.11. Yes, I know the antenna is only 2/70cm rated, but wanted to try on all the radio is capable of.

Yeah, not surprising. Cheap Chinese Antennas made to look "cool" usually don't work worth beans. 2 meter band is going to want to see a 19" 1/4 wave length if you want something close to decent performance. 12cm, according to the Amazon page, isn't going to work well. You can't cram 50cm of antenna into a 12cm package and expect it to work well.

While we are traveling, I do most of my talking on 2m/70cm/GMRS. I was wondering if anyone has had any good luck with smaller antennas like the Ghost Antennas and whatnot, but I believe those are mainly GMRS rated.

Not going to work any better than the Amazon Chinese special you tried. Again, you can't cram 1/4 wave of VHF antenna into something the size of a pepper shaker.

Going on a trip in early November, and would like to have an antenna on the rig that is somewhat smaller, since the Land Yacht already stands a little over 6' stock. I have a spare SO-239 1 pound mag mount that I can utilize if the antenna fits. Otherwise, I don't care of it's NMO or SO-239.

Thank you all, and have a wonderful evening.

Do yourself a favor. Switch to NMO mounts. SO-239's are simply a shielded banana plug, and were never designed to support mobile antennas. Using the NMO mount will give you a lot more options for your antennas.

As for the antenna….

Skip the toys and get something decent. Yeah, it's going to cost a bit more than the Chinese crap, but it'll outlast your vehicle, and the one after that, and the one after that….

-or-

I own both of these and have been playing with them on a multi band radio in my work truck. I've used it on 2 meters, 70cm and GMRS, plus 800MHz and a bunch of VHF and UHF work stuff.

The EM Wave and the Larsen are similar and the performance is the same. I kind of like the EM Wave seal design a bit more. The Larsen is a bit more flexible. Either one will do what you need.

Here's the VHF plot on the Larsen (EM Wave is similar)

1.67-1.54 SWR on the 2 meter band.

Here's the UHF plot:

1.02:1 SWR on 446MHz, A bit lower on GMRS.

One antenna, about 19" tall. Professional stuff, not Chinese toys. EM Wave is less expensive, but will work just as well as the more expensive Larsen. You can't go wrong with either one.

CTWaters

As for the antenna….

Skip the toys and get something decent. Yeah, it's going to cost a bit more than the Chinese crap, but it'll outlast your vehicle, and the one after that, and the one after that….

-or-

I own both of these and have been playing with them on a multi band radio in my work truck. I've used it on 2 meters, 70cm and GMRS, plus 800MHz and a bunch of VHF and UHF work stuff.

The EM Wave and the Larsen are similar and the performance is the same. I kind of like the EM Wave seal design a bit more. The Larsen is a bit more flexible. Either one will do what you need.

One antenna, about 19" tall. Professional stuff, not Chinese toys. EM Wave is less expensive, but will work just as well as the more expensive Larsen. You can't go wrong with either one.
Thank you for this.

I was looking at the specs on them and was like man, those don't do 220. Then I read where you said you are using either on 220, so that works.

I don't get on 220 all that often, but sometimes there's some good QSO's over there that I chime in on when I'm scanning in the truck.

I like that Larson because it is the smaller of the two, so maybe I might be able to "negotiate" with the other 1/2 to put that on top of the Land Yacht for our road trips. :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for this.

I was looking at the specs on them and was like man, those don't do 220. Then I read where you said you are using either on 220, so that works.

I don't get on 220 all that often, but sometimes there's some good QSO's over there that I chime in on when I'm scanning in the truck.

I like that Larson because it is the smaller of the two, so maybe I might be able to "negotiate" with the other 1/2 to put that on top of the Land Yacht for our road trips. :)

I never said anything about 220, and neither did your original post.
These antennas are going to be poor performers on 220MHz. These are commercial antennas that will cover 2m and 70cm (as well as 960), but if you do need 220, probably not going to work well.

Here's the full sweep from 30MHz to 960MHz. You'll have to use your imagination for the 220MHz marker. Probably looking at something close to 3:1SWR.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

CTWaters

I never said anything about 220, and neither did your original post.
These antennas are going to be poor performers on 220MHz. These are commercial antennas that will cover 2m and 70cm (as well as 960), but if you do need 220, probably not going to work well.
No biggie, I more than likely wouldn't be using 1.25 outside the local area anyways.

I listed the SWR on the original post for 2m/1.25m/70cm/GMRS, but you are right... I did mention that most of my comms are on 2m/70cm/GMRS which is true, and the two you listed would suffice.

Thank you again.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry, missed that about 1.25.

Yeah, not the antenna you want for that. For everything else you were mentioning, it would work fine. Both antennas are flexible and have a good spring at the base. I haven't had any issues with low tree branches and the occasional parking garage on the work truck.

tomhank

This additional choice for buyers of mobile UHF VHF antennas is a VFAN dual-band antenna with a 3dB gain. This antenna may seem short to some, but that can be a good thing. It is one of the main causes for its low wind load. It implies that the performance of the antenna will be largely unaffected by the wind.