Duke Energy Switching to a Digital Trunking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drafin

That's a good point but you would think that they would go with something a little more tested and reliable. It seems that every time you read something about Opensky it's a problem.

Encrypted P25 makes a whole lot more sense, but thats just my opinion.

Draf

N

N_Jay

From what I have heard several utilities are using and happy with their OpenSky systems.

It certainly has received a bad reputation in Public Safety, but even that seems to be changing.

Drafin

From what I have heard several utilities are using and happy with their OpenSky systems.

It certainly has received a bad reputation in Public Safety, but even that seems to be changing.

Well and one good thing about utilities going to a Opensky if it doesn't work out for them they can just raise the prices of power to their customers and buy something else instead of having to beg a city council, county commissioners, or state legislative branch for more money to fix the problem.

Draf

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Both N Jay and Drafin make good points.

I have not read or heard of negative things on the utilities end of using OpenSky. I believe many of the utilities have opted for them due to the enhanced data offerings that come with the voice capabilities. Face it, Duke currently doesn't use the voice side of things on their current Moto system unless there are large scale outages during storms, etc. Their system gets a lot more use on the data side through mobile data terminals/computers on a regular basis.

The other point boils down to cost. Ultimately, it will be passed on to us, the customers. Then again, as I referred to in my previous post, if Duke can afford billions for nuclear power plants, they can afford millions for a brand new radio system. :) :twisted: :)

N

N_Jay

Well and one good thing about utilities going to a Opensky if it doesn't work out for them they can just raise the prices of power to their customers and buy something else instead of having to beg a city council, county commissioners, or state legislative branch for more money to fix the problem.

Draf

I guess you have never heard of a PUC (Public Utilities Commission) before?:roll:

Public utilities commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both N Jay and Drafin make good points. . . . .

Better double check your accolades. ;)

Drafin

The NCUC does indeed regulate power in NC and it's cost to the consumer and is set forth through North Carolina General Statute as it relates the public utilities of the state. That being said a rate increase to replace a replacement radio system , should OpenSky happen not to work as planned, would be easy to pass through. The spin can be seen even before the problem arises as it would be a rate increase to better serve the customer in outage situations. The NCUC would in no way stand in the way of such an "improvement". It may take a few hearings from Duke Energy officials but could easily be justified to the board.

Hence my post from before on the ease of switching to some other system. Having worked for a government agency I can tell you that it would be much easier for a power company to secure the funds than public safety.

Draf

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I know we're getting off-topic here, but Duke Power reportedly is going to undergo a system-wide radio overhaul (atleast according to this thread).

Any rate increases to cover radio communications costs would involve atleast 5 state governements (N.C., S.C., OH, IN and Ky) ... and multiple hearings, since Duke Power is both an electric and a natural gas provider in several states.

Based on some Duke Energy printed communications, as well as utility-industry information I've read over the past couple of days, I don't think Duke Energy has any plans to switch to Open Sky for its fleet communications. They may be implementing VOiP dispatching, with the end-result of scalling back the number of communications centers throughout the five states, but that's not an earth-shattering change.

Here's a couple of links that will give you an idea of the vision Duke Energy leaders have of the company's future. Read the Motorola ezine quote at the bottom of these links, and consider the potential capabilities for both Duke and its customers. The quote all addresses funding this vision.

http://www.gridwiseac.org/pdfs/forum_papers/155_paper_final.pdf

Duke Energy Joins HomePlug® Powerline Alliance Board of Directors

Motorola eZine

"Leveraging the Intelligent Grid" (quote taken from the above material ... Duke Energy is also specifically touted for its initiative in the article)

" For most utilities, AMI networks are one of the most strategic initiatives they can undertake. Not only will they reap the significant rewards of automating the meter reading and data transmission system, they’ll be enabling a whole new set of benefits made possible by their wireless broadband networks.

" Says Energy Insights’ Nicholson, “For most utilities, building a high-speed wireless network on the back of their AMI systems is an investment that will provide value well beyond AMI. Once deployed, the organization will have real-time two-way communications with the bandwidth to support virtually everything they want to do.”

" In addition, regulators are typically favorably disposed to allowing utilities to recover the cost of capital investment in a wireless broadband network when it provides the utility with the ability to deliver additional connected utility solutions to their customers, and to improve the reliability and security of energy delivery throughout the electric grid. "

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Duke Energy is also overhauling thier aging Conventional systems on the Texas Eastern Pipeline/Pumping Facilities in MS, TX, etc. This was one of the things they have wanted to do since they bought out TE. Unsure if they are going to upgrade to digital repeaters yet, or just upgrade the current net to modern equipment. The sytem is in use for not only local ops at facilities, but also used to talk to "Pipeline Patrol" spotter aircraft. The system stretches from the Gulf of Mexico in TX, up through at least TN/GA area. Currently it consists of VHF Hi, and Lo Base stations utilizing some very tall towers indeed. The Union Church, MS pumping station tower stands at nearly 500 feet AGL. (Side note, that tower, and the noise from the facility are what keep anyone from getting lost in the heavily wooded area down there :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.