Dumb question about Skywarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

I've never used this feature before, but would like to. According to the manual the Skywarn frequencies are supposedly already plugged in, but methinks I may have inadvertently erased them when I initially programmed my 500 with Win500, since I didn't first do an upload from the scanner to Win500, which, I presume, would have "stored" the Skywarn frequencies.

In any case, I'm not at the PC with Win500, but when I hit "FUNC WX" to listen to Skywarn I get the message "nothing enabled." Not exactly sure how I either enable the list or find out. In any case, if I have erased the skywarn freqs, is there somewhere here where I can get them? I'd prefer not to have to overwrite my current settings by doing a default reboot.

Suzie

DonS

"SkyWarn" is just a special scan list, like "Fav". You can put anything you want in there.

There are no objects programmed into the SkyWarn scan list from the factory.

raisindot

"SkyWarn" is just a special scan list, like "Fav". You can put anything you want in there.

There are no objects programmed into the SkyWarn scan list from the factory.

Really? Then it's a bit misleading when, in the PSR500 documentation, it says, "SKYWARN Storm Spotter Functionality - Instant access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks."

Well, sure, once you go around and find the dang frequencies. This claim is the equivalent of saying, "Scan list functionality -- instant access to frequencies you've programmed by looking around for them on Radioreference.com."

In any case, where does one find skywarn storm spotter frequencies for one's area?

Suzie

k8tmk

One of the best places to obtain Skywarn frequencies in your area is from a local amateur radio (ham) operator.

Could you possibly be getting Skywarn and the NOAA weather system mixed up? The NOAA weather system uses several dedicated frequencies. These NOAA frequencies could be preinstalled in a scanner, although your ability to receive one of them depends upon your location and the NOAA transmitter location. I can easily recieve NOAA broadcasts from South Bend, Indiana on 162.400 MHz; Chicago, Illinois on 162.550 MHz, and Grand Rapids, Michigan on 162.475 MHz to name a few.

Randy

trunker0205

Really? Then it's a bit misleading when, in the PSR500 documentation, it says, "SKYWARN Storm Spotter Functionality - Instant access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks."

Well, sure, once you go around and find the dang frequencies. This claim is the equivalent of saying, "Scan list functionality -- instant access to frequencies you've programmed by looking around for them on Radioreference.com."

In any case, where does one find skywarn storm spotter frequencies for one's area?

Suzie

Check your local 2 meter ham frequency database..certain frequencies are designated for skywarn.

Here is an example list of southern new england frequencies

http://users.rcn.com/rmacedo/freq.htm

raisindot

Could you possibly be getting Skywarn and the NOAA weather system mixed up? The NOAA weather system uses several dedicated frequencies. These NOAA frequencies could be preinstalled in a scanner, although your ability to receive one of them depends upon your location and the NOAA transmitter location. I can easily recieve NOAA broadcasts from South Bend, Indiana on 162.400 MHz; Chicago, Illinois on 162.550 MHz, and Grand Rapids, Michigan on 162.475 MHz to name a few.

Randy

Nope. Documentation clearly says Skywarn. The wording *implies* that this feature has the same functionality as the pre-programmed WX frequencies--i.e., touch a button and get access to pre-programmed frequencies. If this was a major purchasing consideration, I would be p.o.'d. Fortunately, for me at least, it wasn't a consideration, and since the rest of the thing is so danged cool in every way and since GRE really seems committed to its user base I can personally forgive them for this bit of marketing malarky. Of course, if they want to send me another PSR500 as an apology I wouldn't say no.....

Suzie

IndyEmsGuy

Skywarn Freqs are different in each county and in each state. The Skywarn scanlist is setup so that you can put the freqs you want in there and it will scan that and monitor NOAA WX traffic. It is quite simple to setup and easy to use. I have been using it alot here in Indiana with all the weather stuff going on here. Here is a list of the Indiana freqs. I think they have them for each state.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=2671

KC9NEG

Google on your own state plus the word skywarn and find local 'net site info... it's often more complete than the RR database. Yep, Skywarn is just a scan list with a separate, dedicated key. I recently got my ham ticket, so I have a transciever now and just started getting involved in Skywarn. I love the feature for monitoring, though.

Todd/Indy

trunker0205

Nope. Documentation clearly says Skywarn. The wording *implies* that this feature has the same functionality as the pre-programmed WX frequencies--i.e., touch a button and get access to pre-programmed frequencies. If this was a major purchasing consideration, I would be p.o.'d. Fortunately, for me at least, it wasn't a consideration, and since the rest of the thing is so danged cool in every way and since GRE really seems committed to its user base I can personally forgive them for this bit of marketing malarky. Of course, if they want to send me another PSR500 as an apology I wouldn't say no.....

Suzie

Ok you find the 3 frequencies in your area that are dedicated "SKYWARN" and plug them in.
Now you have 3 pre programmed "SKYWARN" frequencies that you can access in one touch just as advertised..

Boulder

I noticed the local NWS web page here had info on tower locations and frequencies for the SKYWARN network here under the SKYWARN area on the page so you might try your local NWS web page (not all have this info)

wnjl

Suzie

I totally agree with you...it clearly seemed to me too that there would be skywarn frequencies pre-programmed...OR that there would be an easy way to download them online from a database or the like. Finding skywarn frequencies for county by county is nowhere as easy as people are saying in this thread, at least for my area anyway (the lists I've found online have been erroneous and out of date). It's no big deal, certainly did not buy the scanner for that, but to me it's false advertising the way the Skywarn feature is explained.

raisindot

Check your local 2 meter ham frequency database..certain frequencies are designated for skywarn.

Here is an example list of southern new england frequencies

http://users.rcn.com/rmacedo/freq.htm

Indeed, thank you. Programmed those freqencies last night wia Win500 into the Skywarn bank several hours before a hellish storm came through right around midnight. Couldn't sleep, so I turned on the scanner, hit the Wx Priority thing and the Skywarn. Boy, between the NOAA alerts every few minutes and the chatter on the Worcester Skywarn frequencies, the radio was hoppin'. Couldn't pick up clear Skywarn signals beyond that, thought--it would stop and push out noise, but couldn't hear the audio. It was fun though, until the talk devolved from discussions of the storm to the usual angry ham ranting about "local gummin't gonna tax me to the death but won't clean out the trees that fell in my yard." Maybe it wasn't hi-falutin' digital or trunking scanning, but my PSR500 definitely lived up to its potential that night.

Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.