Dumfries VFD Mobile Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4ZPD

It's up to the county as to what they want to do. The county to the north (Fairdfax Co) They are on 24/48 w/ volunteers as 2nd due responce from the stations. Stafford has recently started putting paid firefighters in all stations. 2 to start out with, and paid medics on 10 hour rotation. I don't see volunteers lasting much longer (its a shame to think that) but that seems to be the todays trend.

Samuel

Prince William County Fire/Rescue doesnt have as much money as may appear from the equipment they just use it wisely and are good at getting grant money. Prince William County gets the most for their money this way. The volunteer departments get some money from the county because they work jointly with the county but they also get donations from the public. The engines you see are used by the county during the day they dont have seperate equipment. These volunteer departments operate using the same standards and procedures as PWC DFR staff does during the day. Not only are they too busy for POV response it is generally prohibited. The county has transitioned more towards career staff but vounteers are still an important part of public safety in PWC. As they said the Department of Fire/Rescue staffs the 20 stations from roughly 0630-1830 monday-friday. If there is a station that doesnt have the volunteer manpower then career staff is assigned to that station 24hr a day (station 15 I think has 3 career staff at night to supplement volunteers). Our volunteer departments are not like the stereotype some have of the volunteer system. Some of our volunteer departments are busier than some paid departments in the country. Anyways it works well for the citizens even if it doesnt make sense to others...btw I have had the opportunity to see this piece along with the County Police Command Bus in person and both are fantastic and I believe there was some homeland security money involved to answer funding questions. btw lest you think that I am biased I am not a paid or career firefighter...I work for PD

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
if the county does not have much money, does that mean the sheriff or county police only has volunteer officers on duty at night and on the weekend?

Samuel

LOL point taken.... Obviously the answer is no the County Police is a full service 24/7/365 department however funding comes into play when you look at staffing. We have 500 or so officers to serve about 350,000 citizens. The sheriff's office however is not 24hs since they only handle courts and civil processing. As for your point the county is heading the way you suggest slowly though there are certainly politcal and financial issues. When I moved to the county 11 years ago the DFR Staff worked less hours but they have slowly been extending the hours that the stations are staffed by career staff over the years and there are some pieces that are staffed by career staff full time now. Part of the political issue is that all of the stations and most of the apparatus are owned by the volunteer departments not the Dept of Fire & Rescue. Anyways I see both sides of the issue. Trust me I work with the career staff more often than the volunteers and am definently a supporter but its more complicated than just saying we should do it a certain way

Last edited:

mandlair

I say if you have it flaunt it. lol but seriously if they have that kind of equipment there budget must see a need for it. probaly due to homeland security in the area for some reason or another or a large area of inter communication for the area. so it probaly doesnt just benefit 1 dept but several I have no reason to think accept common sense. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.