Dumfries VFD Mobile Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Their website is very detailed, their stations are very nice. Very professional looking. Way to represent!

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Command Post 503 is a 2004 E-One Cyclone II/VanMor, with final radio installs completed by Bickford of Chantilly, Virginia.

The latest thing completed in this vehicle is the ability to control all of the workstations and radios through VoIP interfaces located in the forward portion of the cab.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
What's the difference between an "engine" and a "wagon"? I've never heard the term wagon as it refers to fire apparatus.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Kirk - it used to be very popular, espically in DC and the surrounding areas, to have two engines per startion. The "engine" was the piece that pumped, and the "wagon" carried the hose (hold-over from term hose wagon). Today, it's still used in that area to simply designate a 2nd engine from the same station.

Gill, as both a career and volunteer firefighter, I have to wonder what you mean with your statement. Is it to say that the volunteers aren't able to do the same job as the "paid professionals"? I would put the volunteers of the DTVFD up against any FD around.

Here's the scoop: Dumfries-Triangle is one of 12 volunteer fire departmets that operate out of 20 stations in Prince William County, Virginia. A majority of these stations are staffed daytime only with career PWC firefighters, and a handful have 24-hour career staff. The stations and apparatus are owned by the county with the exception of a few of the specialty units.

A great number of Dumfries-Triangle's members are actually career firefighters in nearby localities.

As a taxpayer, isn't a better bang for the buck if you can get the same service out of a volunteer crew?

n4voxgill

Silent Key
fully staffed equipment arriving in minimum time. also having 3 or 4 volunteers driving at whatever speed trying to get to the fire on time is much more dangerous than one engine.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
This is not a "home response" department, nor is there POV response. The call volume is far too high for that. Every time I've visited the department (about a dozen over the past 6 years or so), I've found one engine and the ladder truck at Station 3 were staffed, and one engine at Station 17 were staffed (at minimum).

I still can't help but think you're viewing all volunteers as "second rate firefighters."

flyingwolf

Old School
I think maybe what was meant is that if they have the money for such exteravagant vehicles then why are they using Vollies, Pay those guys, thet risk their necks, get em some real money comming in, make it a full time career.

KG4ZPD

At DTVFD and most of the stations in Prince William Co, they have 12 hr career firefighters Monday-Friday. Volunteers after 6pm, weekends and holidays. They have 6 county owned medics 551-556. They are staffed 24/7. Like BoxAlarm187 said, the county is not on home responce or pov responce. I know for a fact that station 3 is fully staffed with volunteers at night. Both the engine and wagon carry the same complement of hoses, and if another piece is needed, they unstaff on unit on air, then mark up with the other piece. When they get back they unstaff that one and staff the original piece. My department in Stafford Co. worked the smae way. I used to live in PW Co, and have know a lot of firefighters from there. Trust me, they know what they are doing.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I accept your statement that these are fully qualified volunteers. But if you can afford all that expensive equipment, then why are you not paying the firefighters. If the call volume is as high as you say, then that is even more justification to pay the people doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.