Duplexer Use Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
So, odd question. I understand how a set of duplexer cans create a band pass/reject notch for repeaters so that transmitter doesn't desensitize the receiver. I couldn't seem to find the answer in my searching, but could a duplexer be used to allow a single antenna be used for two fixed simplex 2-way RF uses? Say, I wanted to run an APRS iGate (144.39) and a BBS/Winlink Packet Node (144.01), is it possible to use the duplexer to isolate these two uses from each other instead of getting significant separation? Isn't a set of cans basically just two tuned notch filters? The two above frequencies are more than the typical 0.600 spacing for a VHF repeater, so I would imagine it would work pretty well, but that would be putting RF into the receive side of the cans.

Just the things I think about when I have all these little projects going on, and keep thinking of ways to keep them all running at the same time.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Sure, that's what a transmit combiner is.

But it's only 380KHz spacing.
So is using a duplexer the most economical way, or should I be looking at something else?

prcguy

I don't know of a duplexer off hand that will work with that split and if there was one it would probably run way north of $2k new. I can't think of a good economical way to isolate two radios at the same place only 380KHz apart. If you put them on separate antennas I don't think you can get them far enough apart horizontally to work very well. Single cavity filters on separate antennas will not give enough isolation but maybe a dual or triple 1/4 wave cavity on each radio with lots of antenna separation might work. Single 1/4 wave cavity filters start around $75 used and go up.

So is using a duplexer the most economical way, or should I be looking at something else?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I see where I made a problem, the packet would be on 145.01, not 144.01. Oops. That ends up being 620KHz.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Not the most economical way for what you are doing. It's expensive, and really only pays off when you are trying to cram a bunch of stuff onto a tower without putting up separate antennas.

Two separate antennas would be much easier/cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.