DXpeditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

41a0203c

I was wondering if anyone out here knows of any DXpeditions coming up? I've never been on one, but I've always wanted to go on one. Being that I have nothing going on right now except the prospect of a temp tech job that is not a sure thing, I'm ready to travel.

ropin4gold

You should "make" your own. I see you are in MN. Register for a special event call sign. Then pick an island in one of those "10,000" lakes and bingo, instant pileup.........

41a0203c

Broke

That's a great idea, minus the fact that I have no way of financing it. I have just enough resources that I can jump on a project funded by another group, but nothing on my own. Doing my own island activation is a great idea though. I might know something tomorrow about a possible job lead to get some money going. The way things go around here, wages are not good. We have nothing for the moment and are rebuilding. I figured a DXpedition would be great to put on my resume as an I.T. professional who loves working with wireless solutions.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If there's a DX oriented club in your state, join it. Participate in meetings and on-line discussions. If you're active on HF, get busy establishing your reputation as a competent DX operator, particularly with CW skills. If you're not active on HF, get a station going. Participate in every contest you can, submit your logs, and get yourself known by the DX community. Donate to other people's DXpiditions, support them behind the scenes as much as you can, continue to operate and become known to the DX stations as well as the DX clubs.

Then, maybe, they'll consider taking you along. Otherwise, roll your own, and make your reputation that way.

41a0203c

Clubs

Thanks for the info. I never thought of that before. I definately need to start hitting up HF more often than I do. Logs are definately going to be the proof I need to show what I have.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
DXpiditions are highly competitive. There's a large amount of money spent on these things, sometimes in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some of it get's sponsored, some is put up by the people going on the DXpidition themselves. It's not a poor man's sport, not from that angle.

What it boils down for you is, you have to be perceived as a valuable enough member of the team for them to want to take you. The only way to do that is get out there, start from scratch, and become known to the DX community as a really good, competent operator.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.