Earpiece question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Y'all know those little CIA type earpieces yew can put in your radio? Like Wal-Mart uses? And the CIA?

I rounded the ones up I had collected over the years and found eight of them. (!!!!!) Still in the original baggies they were shipped in. So I decided to try them out. I had a guy on the other end of the line give me a report. Of the eight earpieces, guess how many he could actually understand when I transmitted?

ONE! :(

Now I know I can't expect OTTO mic quality from these tiny things, but I'd like to think I could at least be understood? Does anyone know where I can get a QUALITY one of these for a Kenwood radio?

Do they even exist? Or are they best left alone? :(

ThomasMcKean

Performance of ear-bud style mics can vary significantly with position, even when "working properly". If the "ear-bud" style is not working all that well, maybe a "throat-mic" style would be better?

Google: Kenwood ear-bud mic

Google: Kenwood throat mic

Just a thought,

So far I have avoided throat mics. It sure would look funny walking around walmart or some other store with one of those. My main goal is to LISTEN, not talk. As yew may have seen in another thread, I certainly did get into some kind of trouble for saying hello to walmart! :)

But when I *do* talk, I want to be understood. I see these gizmos as essential for any serious scanner when away from the house.

But since yew bring it up, has anyone here tried the throat mics? Do they work well? Did yew get funny looks walking around with them? Oh, do tell. :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sorry my CDO (OCD with the letters in proper alphabetical order!) is kicking in. YOU is spelled YOU not YEW.

A CIA "style" (clear acoustical tube) ear piece should have a separate mic... And not all are created equal. If you want decent quality sound you need to buy a good name. Like Otto Kenwood or Motorola. Any of the cheap import ones always sound bassy or muffled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThomasMcKean

Sorry my CDO (OCD with the letters in proper alphabetical order!) is kicking in. YOU is spelled YOU not YEW.

A CIA "style" (clear acoustical tube) ear piece should have a separate mic... And not all are created equal. If you want decent quality sound you need to buy a good name. Like Otto Kenwood or Motorola. Any of the cheap import ones always sound bassy or muffled.

That may be my problem. I think what I have are as yew say, the cheap import ones. I'll see if I can find something more brand name and give it a try... More $$$ to be sure, but these may well be a case of yew get what yew pay for. Much of radio is this way, I have noticed....

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
That may be my problem. I think what I have are as yew say, the cheap import ones. I'll see if I can find something more brand name and give it a try... More $$$ to be sure, but these may well be a case of yew get what yew pay for. Much of radio is this way, I have noticed....

Goes to the old saying... 'You get what you pay for'

K8CMH

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for a "Listen Only" earpiece with the clear tubing, Tactical Ear Gadgets makes excellent ones that work very well. They have many variations and lengths to chose from.

Just make sure you get the right connector as some earpieces that are listed as "Motorola Compatible" [or other radio compatible] with the 1/8th standard plug have a threaded end/jack and will not seat correctly or will be unstable. (Unless your radio has threaded jack).

Status
Not open for further replies.