Eastern Nebraska storm stream now live 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUrge

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know I am streaming storm spotter frequencies again this year from eastern Nebraska. Last year I used ustream.tv for hosting and I will be doing the same again this year.

Also among this stream I am also scanning a simulcasted NAWAS frequency from Sarpy County which the NWS uses to communicate with other weather offices and emergency management across the state. Alot of times you will hear warnings broadcast even before they reach tv, internet etc. It's very interesting to listen to when warnings start to pop up.

The stream tends to be slow during non-severe weather, but you will hear ham chatter now and then. Until then I do have a clip from last year I recorded that you can listen to on my page, if you haven't heard the stream before. The stream will be up 24/7, probably until it starts to get cold again.

Eventually I will be streaming the NAWAS and HAM frequencies separetely once I get some more money together for a second scanner, or possibly a couple Motorola Maxtracs to separate out the NAWAS frequency and storm spotter traffic.

For now I'm using ustream for hosting, but I am also looking into shoutcast/icecast based streaming as well. I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if you have and comments. Make sure to bookmark the stream and check it out when the weather starts to pick up.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebraska-severe-weather-live

Chris

SCPD

QRT
Listening to weather spotters in Nebraska is definately interesting. I locked out everything in Lincoln during our last storm two weeks ago (actually the seasons first tornado), listening to the Hams, EOC and NAWAS. I didn't hear anything but an open carrier on NAWAS, but the Ham freqs were definately hopping and Lancaster EOC was on the ham band as well.

It was strange to hear the reports come in, the about five minutes for the sirens to start up. I thought that delay was rather slow, but they were trying to eyeball the funnel and given the conditions it was hard to spot. I'll definately be listening in again in the next storm, as it breaks up the routine of listening to law and fire most all the time.

TheUrge

Listening to weather spotters in Nebraska is definately interesting. I locked out everything in Lincoln during our last storm two weeks ago (actually the seasons first tornado), listening to the Hams, EOC and NAWAS. I didn't hear anything but an open carrier on NAWAS, but the Ham freqs were definately hopping and Lancaster EOC was on the ham band as well.

It was strange to hear the reports come in, the about five minutes for the sirens to start up. I thought that delay was rather slow, but they were trying to eyeball the funnel and given the conditions it was hard to spot. I'll definately be listening in again in the next storm, as it breaks up the routine of listening to law and fire most all the time.

Definitely check it out when the weather starts to get bad again. NAWAS gets pretty busy on the Sarpy frequency.

Also, just to let everyone know I now have an icecast server up in case ustream is down or you would like to listen from winamp or your cellphone. Just an fyi - ustream is alot more realtime than icecast...icecast tends to have about a 30-45 second delay compared to ustream.

http://http://neseverewxlive.selfip.com:8000/live.m3u

scannernut09

Hey i am from eastern nebraska i was wonderin if your could give me your frequencies so i could plug them into my scanner also i got the programming cable for my scanner and i have windows vista and it was not working so i tried on xp and i still do not think it is workin so could anyone hjelp me?

SCPD

QRT
What county in Nebraska are you in?

For the cable issue, I seem to recall this subject in previous threads. I had the same problem after I reloaded Vista, but can't remember what exactly I did to fix it. I'd suggest searching the forums as I know the answer is out there, somewhere.

TheUrge

Update - 4/24

-Update: After some testing, I am happy to announce that ScanAmerica is now hosting the Eastern Nebraska Storm Stream.

Check out the new site and the new link to the stream over at http://douglas.ne.scanamerica.us/index.php

-I think Ustream worked well, but ScanAmerica is a little more suited for the purpose. I felt it was unecessary to use both services at the same time, so I will be dropping the ustream feed for now.

-Also there is a potential for some severe weather over the area over the next few days - so make sure to check out the feed if it does.

Have a great weekend!

-Chris

Last edited:

ke7abh

Nawas

Do you stream the Nawas all the time or is it just Ham Freqs? It would be neat to hear all the
traffic that is relayed over that system.

TheUrge

Do you stream the Nawas all the time or is it just Ham Freqs? It would be neat to hear all the
traffic that is relayed over that system.

All of the time. It's really random when you do hear traffic from NAWAS, but during severe weather I've heard stations checking in as far as western nebraska and northern kansas. Severe weather really hasn't hit much at all this year, so the NAWAS freq has been pretty dead.

But when severe weather picks up, it's very interesting to listen to.

TheUrge

Tornado Watch until 8:00pm tonight

Storms are already starting to pop up just east of Omaha...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NE
148 PM CDT THU MAY 7 2009

IAZ043-055-056-069-079-080-090-091-NEZ011-012-015>018-030>034-
042>045-050>053-065>068-078-088>093-080000-
ANTELOPE-BOONE-BURT-BUTLER-CASS-CEDAR-COLFAX-CUMING-DODGE-DOUGLAS-
FREMONT IA-GAGE-HARRISON IA-JEFFERSON-JOHNSON-KNOX-LANCASTER-MADISON-
MILLS IA-MONONA IA-MONTGOMERY IA-NEMAHA-OTOE-PAGE IA-PAWNEE-PIERCE-
PLATTE-POTTAWATTAMIE IA-RICHARDSON-SALINE-SARPY-SAUNDERS-SEWARD-
SHELBY IA-STANTON-THURSTON-WASHINGTON-WAYNE-
148 PM CDT THU MAY 7 2009

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF EASTERN NEBRASKA
AND SOUTHWEST IOWA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST
IOWA AND SOUTHEAST NEBRASKA INTO THE EARLY EVENING. THE MAIN
THREATS ARE LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS...BUT ISOLATED TORNADOES
MAY ALSO OCCUR.

THERE IS ANOTHER CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS LATE TONIGHT ACROSS MUCH
OF THE AREA. ONCE AGAIN...SEVERE STORMS ARE NOT LIKELY.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY

THE PROBABILITY FOR WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS LOW.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING.

$$

MILLER

Last edited:

TheUrge

Scanner now active for severe weather today

Check out the stream...there is quite a bit of activity and reports coming from southeast Nebraska near Nebraska City and Rockport at the moment.

The signal may be a little scratchy due to the distance, but you should still be able to hear pretty well.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (MINE!!!!11!!oneone: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Also there is a shoutcast stream up that is streaming the linked repeater network that covers a good portion of southwest Iowa and southeast nebraska.

Ill have to try to find it when I get Home

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (MINE!!!!11!!oneone: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

By the way, what is NAWAS?

SCPD

QRT

By the way, what is NAWAS?

I can't believe that I am responding to a thread over a year old, but Bob I see your question was never answered. Here's some insight for ya:

The National Warning System (NAWAS) is a communications system originally designed and implemented in the 1950's as a means of notifying and preparing for a nuclear attack. Fortunately the system was never used for its intended purpose, but has proven invaluable to local emergency managers responding to or coping with natural disasters.

The National Warning System supports the nonmilitary actions taken by Federal agencies, by the private sector, and by individual citizens to meet essential human needs; to support the military effort; to ensure continuity of Federal authority at national and regional levels; and to ensure survival as a free and independent nation under all emergency conditions, including a national emergency caused by threatened or actual attack on the United States.

The National Warning System has major terminals at each State EOC and State Emergency Management Facility. Today, the system consists of what is effectively a 2200+ telephone party line. Obviously, it is more than a normal telephone system. The phone instruments are designed to provide protection for lightening strikes so they may be used during storms. The interconnecting lines are provided some protection and avoid local telephone switches. This ensures they are available even when the local system is down or overloaded.

The system is used by local officials thousands of times a year for emergency management coordination and response. One typical scenario is the use of the system during tornadoes. As storms are sighted, emergency managers in one town or county can communicate with their colleagues in other counties who are in the path of the storm, advising them as to direction, speed, and intensity. The drawback to this system is it relies on human intervention. If there is no one there to receive the communications the warning is not disseminated. This has resulted in missed tornado warnings. Today modernization and automation are planned in most telecommunications systems.

Both the National Warning Center (NWC) and the Alternate National Warning Center (ANWC) at Olney, MD, are staffed 24 hours per day and serve as the primary control for the National Warning System (NAWAS).

Happy scanning!

mkaskavitch

145.3900 out of Thurman, IA is GREAT for severe weather info In W. IA and E. Nebraska. Pretty wide machine, especially for those base stations out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.