• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EchoStation - Easiest way to build repeater!

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

Not sure if it has already been mentioned here before, but I was just introduced to the "EchoStation" software. Let me tell you how it is the best software I have ever come across! I always thought it was really hard and expensive to build my own GMRS repeater. But with this software, you can build your own repeater using a scanner, a computer and a GMRS radio. That is it!

Program has optional ways of connecting equipment together, but I went with the VOX (voice activated) for both the reciever and the transmitter.

Basically, you simply have an audio cable going from the headphone jack of a scanner (or another radio) that is listening on the repeater INPUT frequency (467.xxx) and that plugs into the mic-in or line-input of your computers sound card. Then you have an audio cable going from the speaker or line-out from the computer sound card to the transiever. That's it! Not only does it work just like other high-end expensive repeaters (from a users view), it even can work as a simplex repeater if wanted.

Of course you need to adjust audio settings on your computer and and a few other things too. I also wouldnt rely on this type of repeater setup as much as I would a high-end Motorola, but hey... It's extremely easy and cheap this way.

Check out the link here---> K1RFD EchoStation - Repeater-Control Software for Amateur Radio You can download and try the software for free for a limited amount of days then you have to register it. Registration is only $19.95.

Have FUN!

n2nov

What happened to the diplexer to keep the transmitted signal from getting into the receiver and knocking down the receive sensitivity? Repeaters are more than just the audio of a receiver being fed into a transmitter microphone connection. There are other issues, but this is all that I am touching on today and will leave it to other experienced repeater builders to comment.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure of how the OP is setting it up, but if there is enough separation between the receiver antenna and the TX antenna, as well as between the receiver and transmitter, this wouldn't be an issue. I do, however think that using a scanner for RX isn't a good idea, based on sensitivity and rejection capabilities compared to a second transceiver.

Now for the part where everyone is going to jump on the OP (and probably me too).....echolink is a form of wireline control, which some believe is prohibited in the GMRS arena. This isn't true, and an intense study of the references to the PSTN and wireline control that are made in Part 95 (repealed sections too) only states that the equipment used for this purpose has to be Part 68 compliant, so as to not potentially create a condition where someone working on the PSTN would be at risk of injury from the equipment. I assume this is one of the other issues that you reference.

roadranger

If I didn't know better...

I would think that this wire-line rule sounds familiar from Part 95 CB Rules, which would require constant presence for monitoing. Anyway, I like the simplex repeater idea. (((}:>{)>b===lUl=---)

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Remote Wireline control is legal.

Remote Wireline audio is not.

You can maintain positive transmitter control by wireline (force repeater transmitter on/off), but you cannot have the unit transmit audio from a remote wireline connection.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Now for the part where everyone is going to jump on the OP (and probably me too).....echolink is a form of wireline control, which some believe is prohibited in the GMRS arena.

This software is EchoSTATION, not EchoLINK. In fact, the EchoStation FAQ specifically says it does not work with EchoLink.

travcam

While working on a 6 meter repeater in 2006, I had great hopes for this software.

Let's just say it has bugs. If you don't build the "PC lock up kill circuit" you're going to have issues.

Sadly - this software hasn't seen an update since 2003. I would pay much more to register if it had more support and an update to fix a bug here and there. Lots of missed opportunities here.

Status
Not open for further replies.