• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EDACS Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraphale

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I'm having a hell of a time with an EDACS 500M and ProGrammer R18. I simply cannot get the radio into programming mode, apparently, unless new versions of the firmware show programming mode by lighting all the display elements and staying that way. I cannot get the thing to say PROG on the display no matter what I do, with a homebrew cable, an RFGuys RIBless cable, or keypresses upon power-up (either SCAN and + or SCAN, + and -). Can I get this radio into programming mode somehow? When I connect the RFGuys cable it powers up with normal display response for operation except the mic is keyes (draws 10 amps and the LED is red).

I'm totally at a loss, and can't even find any firmware files for the 500M, much less older ones that might solve the problem if it is a firmware upgrade issue of some kind.

When I power up the radio normally, it says "GO T EEB", then "NO LABEL". None of the controls appear to do anything except the volume control, which gives me "VOL =" and a number which increases when I turn it up and decreases when I turn it down, until at its lowest setting it reads "VOL = OFF".

Help? I'm trying to get it into PROG mode and program it with ProGrammer R18.

The 500M is put into program mode the same way as the Orion is - you power it up with the programming connector, well, connected. In the case of the 500M, that's screwed into the mic connector. You don't have to hold any keys, just power up with the connector plugged in.

The schematic of the cable is here:

http://www.hallelectronics.com/getech/tq3387.gif

Grounding 2,5 and 7 is (as I recall) what puts it into programming mode.

Hope that helps
Enid

azraphale

I wish it helped a bit more! See my reply in the other thread here: forums.radioreference.com/harris-ma-com-ge-ericsson-forum/221262-ribless-cable-edacs-500m.html

So anyone have good early flashcode for the 500M, either an original BIZ file or even a BIN file downloaded from an existing radio? R18 won't talk to my radios with the later flashcode, either with a Price or an RFGuys cable, and the radio powers up with all display segments lit with the Price cable connected, as described in the later version of the OE maintenance manual for the radio. Perhaps a later version of ProGrammer would work, if anyone has one I can try? I'm open to any options to program these radios...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Later versions of Programmer (I believe R19 and above) then into RPM are licensed per machine that they are installed to, so I don't think you will likely find anything beyond R18.

azraphale

Well, I have to get these radios programmed somehow. Does anyone have older flashcode for these radios? If necessary, I'd be willing to pay to have someone flash these radios with older flashcode I can program with R18. Whatever it takes.

Anyone?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well... I hate to suggest the obvious, but you could always take them to a dealer. I will take a look tonight and see if I can find an older flashcode. If I happen to dig one up I will let you know.

azraphale

We could take them to a dealer, but then the cost involved would balloon well outside what I was authorized to spend by the board of directors. The whole point of buying used and programming ourselves was to greatly reduce the cost vs. buying radios from a commercial radio shop. But if that's what it comes to, I guess we'll have to bite the bullet, or find a way to make a later version of ProGrammer work with my machine (I have R18).

Appreciate you taking the time to try and find some older flashcode. I'm hoping that flashing the radios will do the trick, and I believe the recover function of R18 will be able to get the flashcode into the radio despite the newer flashcode onboard. I've just had a devil of a time finding ANY flashcode to try.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Unfortunately I wasn't able to dig up any older builds than the most recent (which came out in 2006 by the looks of it).

Are you trying to read these radios? And are getting a timeout/radio not responding error? Or is it telling you it was programmed with a newer version of software? If that's the case just write a new (old?) codeplug over it. If you can't get it into programming mode then I'm not sure what the issue would be. All the radios do the same thing?

According to Harris, there is nothing fancy to put it into program mode. Turn radio off, attach cable, turn on. Or hold down + and SCAN while turning on. Maybe you could have a radio shop look at just one of the radios and see if they can read/write it with their software. Explain your situation to them and maybe they can at least let you know if the problem is with your gear or the radios themselves.

azraphale

Yes, timeout/radio not responding error, on read, write, etc. in all functions of ProGrammer and Radio Maintenance R18. This is with two different RIBless cables -- one does not connect 2, 5 and 7 to ground, only 7, and the radio powers up in normal mode but with TX keyed. If I jumper 2 and 5 it powers up in programming mode but the software can't "see" it. The other cable powers up in programming mode, but the same results from the software.

I would be very surprised if all 13 radios were broken. But they definitely have newer firmware, as witnessed by the very different display indication showing when put into programming mode (which matches the later manuals, thus my suspicion it's a flashcode update issue).

Trinity-Explorations

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I just purchased a used Jaguar 700P, When i turn it on it say's "GO T EEB" does anyone know what that means? I have no use for this radio, so i am trying to get rid of it, But i can't find any pricing on it. I got a newer battery off ebay, antenna and charger, can anyone tell me what this radio might go for? and are these radio equipped with P25 CAI? or is that an option that has to be installed?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
"GO T EEB" is a message put on there by an eBay dealer I believe (I too purchased a radio that said that).

As for the radio's value, it depends on what features it has in it (ProVoice etc). A Jag can still fetch a decent dollar when bundled with accessories, but not a fortune. If it's a ProVoice radio you can likely get in the $300-400 range for it perhaps. The only way to tell what features are in the radio is thru the main menu (if it will let you) or to read the radio.

Trinity-Explorations

Banned
I have the radio, antenna, battery and charger, the radio is in good condition.

It has the following options installed in it :

04, 07, 08, 12, 14, 16, 21, 22, 23, 29

It also has stickers under the battery that read :

"ESK Profile" and "Provoice DES" and "KRD 103 161/104 1A 21"

It is a model HA8ETX

I searched high and low for the list of options for the radio, but i am unable to find it.
I was told these radios will do P25 as a standard option?
Does any of this information tell you what it may be worth?

Like i said, i got it from ebay, and put some money into it as an investment project. we are trying to put money into an ROIP System and get some equipment and get our INC License, so i am looking to sell this radio as i have no need for it

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Those options are:

04 - EDACS Group Scan
07 - EDACS/P25 Dynamic Regroup
08 - EDACS/P25 Emergency
12 - AEGIS Digital Voice
14 - DES Encryption
16 - EDACS/P25 Mobile Data
21 - EDACS Security Key (ESK)
22 - ProFile
23 - Narrowband
29 - ProVoice

For this radio to do P25 you would need option 33 (P25 Common Air Interface - P25 Conventional). P25 Trunking is option 39.

That's a pretty standard feature set for a ProVoice Jag. Do a search of previous auctions on eBay and you can likely get a decent idea of what they are going for. This day and age, like around the $300 mark. Wasn't too long ago they were much closer to the $1000 range.

Trinity-Explorations

Banned
That sounds pretty good, i paid $50 for the radio, $40 for the battery and $25 for the antenna and charger, so it's more than i would expect, which is a good thing.
I would have kept it if it would do P25 Conventional CAI for local stuff, but i have no use for it, so i might put it on ebay and see what i get, i really appreciate your information and all the help

Thayne

"GO T EEB" is a message put on there by an eBay dealer I believe (I too purchased a radio that said that).

As for the radio's value, it depends on what features it has in it (ProVoice etc). A Jag can still fetch a decent dollar when bundled with accessories, but not a fortune. If it's a ProVoice radio you can likely get in the $300-400 range for it perhaps. The only way to tell what features are in the radio is thru the main menu (if it will let you) or to read the radio.

I am fairly sure that "GO T EEB" simply means that the radio came from Denver Public safety as I have seen that on various field units decomissioned and disposed of by Denver. EEB is the Electronic Engineering Bureau that is responsible for programming & modifying communication equipment. If it says that it has probably not been cannibalized too severely. I doubt that any that are flashed for APCO-25 have escaped though. :p

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ah, good to know! My radio did indeed come from Colorado.... They seem to be selling of some pretty decent gear at great prices sometimes.

Thayne

I think there is some more of it just got into the pipeline from the last auction about 2 weeks ago. The whole pallet went for less than $500. Some of it is only good for parts, but there are some mobiles & base station things still in good shape.
If you have a good shop and know what you are doing is possible to just remove one IC from a radio that had "valued" options and put it in another one and thus get the desired options. Only problem is it is hard to know for sure what you are buying---

Status
Not open for further replies.