EDACS scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1VINCE

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
Fairfield, Ca.
Just a question...

Is there a scanner radio that excels in EDACS Trunk Tracking better than any other radio, or are they all pretty much the same?

To narrow the selection(if any) im not wanting to know about professional radios, i.e. motorola's or EFJ's-
just regular scanners like uniden and/or GRE or any other RX only equipment.

Im looking to get a used, dedicated receiver to listen to an EDACS system that has me in the "fringe' area. Im already using some radios with so/so results but I dont want to dedicate any of them as they are already used elswhere in the spectrum.


Thanks in advance
 

mancow

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
6,943
Reaction score
1,136
Location
N.E. Kansas
I have a nice edacs Orion for 300 if interested. You can't get much better than one of those.

EDIT
Nevermind, I didn't read that you were NOT interested in commercial units.
 
Last edited:

davidbond21

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
Location
New Braunfels, TX
I'd recommend the PSR-500 as far as trunk tracking ability goes and it's just about as strong a performer as my LPE-200s. Now if your problem is that your current scanner is not following conversations very well because of being in the fringe area of this system, then the 500 may be able to work a little better in this regard; but if your problem with being in the fringe area is that your voice channel receive is noisy and full of static, then the 500 may not help out all that much and your best bet is either to get an actual EDACS radio(which you don't want) or put up an outdoor antenna(even better a directional one).
 

VA3JWO

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
215
Reaction score
3
Location
Madoc, Ontario
i own a uniden bcd396t and a uniden bearcat 245 scanner. the 396t is more sensitive on edacs, and it trunks edacs when the control channel is half static. i would highly reccomend a uniden bcd 396t or xt, but i don't think thats what you would want, because there extremely pricey and their not for just edacs, their for every other motorola system out there except turbo, and there mostly made for decoding digital motorola... NOT DIGITAL EDACS... the audio on it in analog mode is kinda sucky though
 

R1VINCE

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
Fairfield, Ca.
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I should have clarified a little more that Im mostly interested in finding a used desktop and not a HH. I have plenty of EDACS capability in my shack right now, but as said, those units are being used for other things and I am more into looking for that "old, used" unit to dedicate to listening only to this--->Richmond & San Pablo, Cities of (Public Safety) Trunking System, Richmond, California - Scanner Frequencies

As it stands right now, none of the EDACS capable radios that I have(8) can grab the control channel consistantly (hilly terrain between here and there) without using a yagi(which i homebrewed). All my radios are connected to 1 antenna(discone) and I was looking to get an opinion on the best performing base/desktop for EDACS, preferably an older unit, so that I can stick it in the corner connected to the homebrewed yagi.


Im not ruling out the HH's, im just more into base/desktops(ill take the one that performs the best, since it will be dedicated)
Again, thanks for the suggestions!
 

nova1010

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
0
Reaction score
0
Location
ONTARIO CANADA
Pro-97 works great on edacs as does the pro-2051 you can buy both fairly cheap too.

No HHs need tags? get a bc780xlt or pro-2055 they worked great for me .
 
Last edited:

gmclam

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
698
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
I've used all of my PRO-9x scanners (and PSR-300) on EDACS. When it comes to sensitivity, the PRO-95 wins hands down, with the PSR-300 coming in 2nd. I have zero complaints about scanning EDACS as long as programmed correctly.

But since you are asking about desktop scanners, my suggestion would have to be for the PSR-400. I spent a lot of time in Nevada (lots of EDACS there) with the PSR-300, which is the related HH model, and it worked wonderfully.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top