• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Edacs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
I am trunking and ocationaly I will miss a part of the conversation. My scanner is trunking properly could I be missing a frequency?
 

GTO_04

Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
140
Location
Noblesville, IN
It is possible. Also make sure you have the correct LCN order. The channels must be entered in a specific order and start in the correct location in the scanner bank.

GTO_04
 

bwhite

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
24
Location
Carroll County, MD
It should scan if out of order but not trunk.
You'll hear the transmissions along with a lot of funky noises and conversations may jump around.
If it trunks you won't hear too much in the way of wierd noises and it will follow conversations.
 

DJ88

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
2,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Brick Twp., New Jersey
What system are you talking about ? We MAY be able to help you locate the information you need to get it programmed and working properly.
 
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
I am scanning The Central texas LCRA San marcos tower. It is trunking but I will miss some parts of the convorsation
Example:
Dispatch:2183 copy call 10-50
2183: 2183
Dispatch: Respond Redwood rd at co line for a 10-50
pause
Dispatch:10-4 2183 show you responding.
 

als365

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Location
Santa Clara, CA
GTO_04 said:
It is possible. Also make sure you have the correct LCN order. The channels must be entered in a specific order and start in the correct location in the scanner bank.

GTO_04


Yes and on some scanners you need to start programming at channel 001 instead of channel 000. On Motorola systems you can program out of order but EDACS requires you keep the order.
 

Colin9690

County 21
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
224
Location
APE282018
Yes and on some scanners you need to start programming at channel 001 instead of channel 000. On Motorola systems you can program out of order but EDACS requires you keep the order.

On almost all scanners I know of you need to start programming with channel 001. So, for LCN-1 in the EDACS system, program that into channel 001 (NOT 000). Then follow that procedure for all the other LCNs, just put them corresponding channel.
 

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
11,380
Reaction score
6
Location
Lansing, MI
"so it will still trunk if I am missing frequencies or they are out of order."

It will, but you'll miss conversations.
 

c0wb0yup

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Location
Seymour TN
My scanner was missing parts of conversations on an EDACS system, correct LCN order, started in 001 instead of 000. After some investigation, I found that I had entered one of the frequencies incorrectly. Entering the correct frequency fixed my problem.

Tony
 

Navycop

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
362
Reaction score
0
Location
virginia beach, va
I think I have that problem in VA. I thought it was because the Officers where answering by "laptop" and not the radio. How can I tell if channel is EDACS or MOT?
 

DJ88

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
2,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Brick Twp., New Jersey
Check the database here on this site, and if the system is listed, all of the information pertaining to it, including the type (EDACS, Motorola, etc) will be there.

Also, with programming EDACS systems, just to avoid some confusion, you need not start with channel 001, or the very first channel in the scanner. Rather, you should start with the FIRST CHANNEL OF THE BANK you are programming the system into.
 
Last edited:

KC2DQC

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Location
Town of Tonawanda,NY
Also make sure that after you program each of the systems freq's, in Logical Channel Order, that you have the proper mode set...ED = EDACS; MO= Motrola
 

k0bzv

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
Location
Melbourne, FL
I have been tracking EDACS for several years. I have noticed that my scanner does the same thing
and figured that the scanner takes off scanning when the signal drops. If another transmission is
detected, the scanner will pick it up. Hopefully, it is the response you want. I usually lock on a talk
group (page 94 of PRO-95 manual) when there is an event I wish to monitor such as a fire,etc.
During a transmission, press and hold the TRUNK key until ID HOLD appears. Hit it again to unlock
the talk group.
Another thing I do is to program the frequencies into a bank and than enter ONLY fire talk groups.
Program a second bank and put in ONLY local police talk groups. Do the same with the county
sheriff. If something occurs (fire for example),I turn the police and sheriff off. I only hear the fire
stuff and, when it is over, turn the police and sherrif back on. I realized that it is a bit costly in bank
usage, but it works great for fairly small but busy system. I even have the local airport in a seperate
convential bank and still have banks to spare!! Don Starr's software is great and the price is right!!
I'll be glad to work with folks on this method. This has all been double checked with a second radio.
 

williams63

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississauga , Canada
Yes the frq's must be in order...lowest to highest ,a nd starting at channel ( on scanner ) 01 or 001.

I too am missing 1 frq , try and use UNI TRUNKER , its free...and awesome for EDACS!!

I nabbed alot of info from Uni, its here...and free !

What scanner do you use to Trunk the edac system ?
 

JoeyC

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,526
Reaction score
68
Location
San Diego, CA
williams63 said:
Yes the frq's must be in order...lowest to highest ,a nd starting at channel ( on scanner ) 01 or 001.

Freqs need to be programmed in the order the system opertor has determined the LCN to be. It doesn't necessarily mean lowest to highest...
 

williams63

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississauga , Canada
yer right Joey....However , my exp , as limited as it is , has always , been lowest to highest while dealing with edac systems within my area , but yer right...it can be really anything , thank god for UNI TRUNK!!
 

Knifeguy

Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
k0bzv said:
During a transmission, press and hold the TRUNK key until ID HOLD appears. Hit it again to unlock
the talk group.

Nice.
With Trunks (not sure if its just Motorola Type II 800's or Edacs too), whenever I hit the Hold button on my Pro-97, and also with my BC796? (I'm not sure), I get a loud hum. I can't stop on a trunk.

I haven't really tested it yet on my BC246 & 396, but I don't think that happens on those two. I didn't think you'd want to stop anyway, cause you wouldn't follow the call, but It occassionally changes channels, and I miss a piece too. For me, I just assumed the reception is poor in those cases, and the unit moves back to scan mode.
 

GTO_04

Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
140
Location
Noblesville, IN
Knifeguy said:
Nice.
With Trunks (not sure if its just Motorola Type II 800's or Edacs too), whenever I hit the Hold button on my Pro-97, and also with my BC796? (I'm not sure), I get a loud hum. I can't stop on a trunk.

I haven't really tested it yet on my BC246 & 396, but I don't think that happens on those two. I didn't think you'd want to stop anyway, cause you wouldn't follow the call, but It occassionally changes channels, and I miss a piece too. For me, I just assumed the reception is poor in those cases, and the unit moves back to scan mode.

When you monitor Motorola digital and EDACS systems at the same time on your 396, do you hear the EDACS beeps?

GTO_04
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top