• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson vp900

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9svj

Does anyone have a vp900 that they are using? I'm looking for help programming one.

kc9svj

Actually I'm a brand new user of this radio and software. I would appreciate any info or source you may be able to provide. I have a VHF / 800 model and I'm looking to program it for amateur radio and local freq. On the VHF side and put our local 700/800 system in.

kc9svj

So I did a little research and found that one cannot use the front panel program feature unless you work for the federal government.

kc9svj

I have some programming software and cable on the way I've just never used this radio so feel free to send me any hints or tricks. Budrousa I see where you work. I'm sure we would have lots in common...I tried sending you a pm but this system says I"m too new and wont let me. If you do radio programming for your dept. I'd like to chat.

pfd9100

Premium Subscriber
Were you able to get this solved?
I have one of these that I will set up for Michigans MPSCS, Indiana's 800 system and would like to program some HAM systems in as well but I dont know if that is possible?

Mike

AD0TY

I have a zone of local amateur repeaters in my VP900. What questions do you have? I should be able to answer them.

kc9svj

Gentlemen I no longer have this radio. I was successful at programming mine for VHF only. I did a little research into programming the p25 and realized it was much more than I was ready for. You have to have a security key which is a file that you have to have on your computer that you're going to use the program the radio with. You must get this key from whoever holds it for your department. In my case it was the local sheriff's department has control of our radio system and this was not going to be an option for me. Basically when you have the key installed on your machine in the correct place when you open the programming software it will recognize that and give you the option to program the p25.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Radio manufactures have clamped down on p25 programming with regards to programming p25 trunking. You have to obtain that file that allows you to program your radio systems info into your radio, that is how manufactures lock out and protect from just anybody programming a radio onto someone elses p25 trunking system. This is usually not the case when programming p25 conventional, you should be allowed to program p25 conventional, though i have not programmed anything other then analog and p25 trunking in my VP900.

pfd9100

Premium Subscriber
So I am wondering, once the radio is programmed by the state of Michigan (MPSCS for Fire and EMS use) on their P25 will I be able to go in and work on teh analog, and non P25 additions? Or do I need to get the software and program what I want FIRST then give it to them for their additions for P25?

pfd9100

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,

Now to obtain a copy of the SW..
I have heard it is almost impossible to get and run..
I have also read that with a new radio you get a lifetime license?

Mike

AD0TY

You should be able to get a copy of Armada from your local Kenwood/Johnson dealer. I don't know what retail price is. Once you've purchased a copy of the software from your dealer they should help you keep it up to date. Dealers get the software digitally through an online portal. The lifetime software licensing you're talking about is the software in the radio, so for example, if you buy the P25 Trunking option and like 10 years from now you decide to replace that radio, you won't have to purchase that license again. The radio software is a large part of the cost of the radio, so this is a big selling point for the Viking series radios.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I looked into buying the software and program cable but at over $500 for the pair list price I am thinking about not buying the VP900 for $3900 list price. As far as the software I was told it did not come with the radio for free.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Anybody happen to have any dummy system keys for the Armada software? I've got them for the old PCC software but they've changed since then. I was going to email EFJ and see if they still send them out like they used to but was hoping to save some hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.