Emergency Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpghosts

Whats The Law Say about Lightbars on personal vehicles im not first responder i wantg to know what color lights i can have on my car im trying to make a exact replica of the car the ghostbusters drove so i can have it parked and have the lights on

seamusg

gpghosts said:
Whats The Law Say about Lightbars on personal vehicles im not first responder i wantg to know what color lights i can have on my car im trying to make a exact replica of the car the ghostbusters drove so i can have it parked and have the lights on
You can't use red , amber, blue, white or purple, or anything that looks like athe real thing.

N

N_Jay

Once again, it depends on the State.

Some will allow Amber some will not.

Some make you cover the lights when in motion.

johnvassel

Somewhere on the boards is the michigan vehicle code. Believe it or not , amber is not approved for the regular joe, skywarn, mail vehicles, etc. I believe it's only for plow vehicles WITH permit.
Of course, this is all pretty much left alone since amber lights have become so common.

john

bigbluemsp

If your using this car for show, parades and nothing more you can have red/blue/green/amber and clear but you have to register your car as a show car only..

If you are a FF and you want it for 1st Responder you can have red/clear/amber with permit from your Chief at your FD.

Other then that Amber is it.

AEofficer116

Dont Waste Your Time Responding To This

Your Nuts... Whats Your Problem, Every Post You Make Is A Big Story.... Last I Heard You Dont Have A Car You Ride A Bike........ I Know Of Numorus Other Forum Websites That You Post On And 80 % Of It Is Doesn't Make Sense Or Is Redicolus Garbage......... I Know For A Fact People Have Told You Before About This, Just Stop.......(detroit Firefighters Fourms) Or Go Put Lights On Your Bike Stop Wasting Peoples Time................

Act Your Age

Grow-up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop Being Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!

Railscan

Emergency lights

As a side note to enforcement, I was talking to a Dearborn Firefighter in a department "utility" vehicle,( he was checking hydrants) I always saw the same vehicle with red overheads. That day I saw it with amber lights. He told me the state told them that its not an "emergency vehicle" and thus had to have amber lights. He said it still responds to emergencys. He also said tow trucks go around with red lights (which is illegal) but their vehicle had to remove them). Go figure on enforcement!

bigbluemsp

Railscan said:
As a side note to enforcement, I was talking to a Dearborn Firefighter in a department "utility" vehicle,( he was checking hydrants) I always saw the same vehicle with red overheads. That day I saw it with amber lights. He told me the state told them that its not an "emergency vehicle" and thus had to have amber lights. He said it still responds to emergencys. He also said tow trucks go around with red lights (which is illegal) but their vehicle had to remove them). Go figure on enforcement!

Tow trucks are considered emergency vehicles when they are on the roadside hooking a vehicle as per the MOVE OVER SLOW DOWN LAW.......

Port Huron FD has had a Maintenance Pick Up for the last 10 years (2 different trucks) Both had red lights and one still does to this day and they were told it's ok.

Last edited:

UPMedic

bigbluemsp said:
Tow trucks are considered emergency vehicles when they are on the roadside hooking a vehicle as per the MOVE OVER SLOW DOWN LAW.......

That's correct. They can have red activated when stationary and hooking a car, and (only) amber while moving.

I once again refer to MCL 257.698, (5)(f), which states in part:

However, a wrecker may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights which shall be activated only when the wrecker is engaged in removing or assisting a vehicle at the scene of a traffic accident or disablement. The flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights shall not be activated except in those circumstances that the warning produced by the lights is required for public safety.

N

N_Jay

UPMedic said:
That's correct. They can have red activated when stationary and hooking a car, and (only) amber while moving.

I once again refer to MCL 257.698, (5)(f), which states in part:

However, a wrecker may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights which shall be activated only when the wrecker is engaged in removing or assisting a vehicle at the scene of a traffic accident or disablement. The flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights shall not be activated except in those circumstances that the warning produced by the lights is required for public safety.

Amber when "circumstances that the warning produced by the lights is required for public safety", so driving to an acident NO!

Alpha432

Railscan said:

My department in Oakland County has red and white lights on our utilitiy trucks and we respond to emergency calls in it, no one has ever given us a problem.

Wtf?

gpghosts said:

Just like the commercial for the popular search engine says: "YYYYAAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

AEofficer116 said:
Your Nuts... Whats Your Problem, Every Post You Make Is A Big Story.... Last I Heard You Dont Have A Car You Ride A Bike........ I Know Of Numorus Other Forum Websites That You Post On And 80 % Of It Is Doesn't Make Sense Or Is Redicolus Garbage......... I Know For A Fact People Have Told You Before About This, Just Stop.......(detroit Firefighters Fourms) Or Go Put Lights On Your Bike Stop Wasting Peoples Time................

Act Your Age

Grow-up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop Being Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

AEofficer116

Wow !

marrsfiremedic said:
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

if you only knew, if you only knew........ just check out some of the other post on here, you will laugh for hours, its so ridiculous...... its hard not to laugh !

You called it WTF !

Status
Not open for further replies.