Encrypted DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing?

626hawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Yes my local school district went encrypted to protect the children's identities from listeners.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, all. That may explain why I'll program my 996P2 with two supposedly DMR freqs found by search & one will have audio, the other won't.
On one LG freq in the area very infrequently there will be a word or two then no audio while still a strong signal. 99.9% of the time it's just a strong signal with CC & SL.

N0UJT

Not sure if it's applicable in this case, but DMR can have two time slots, so one frequency can have essentially two simultaneous conversations (I'm not familiar enough with that scanner to know how it handles that). Also DMR can carry data, as opposed to voice. Sometimes voice on Time Slot 1 and data (like GPS tracking) on time slot 2. And of course either or both could be encrypted.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood offers aes, des, arc4 for dmr, as well as nxdn encryption and p25.

With digital like nxdn and dmr you can restrict also what two way is programmed up onto a system to receive audio and prohibit it leaving those to scanners.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Is there such a thing?

yes there is. RC4 also known as Enhanced Privacy on Motorola gear. Motorola won’t sell AES in North American their DMR offerings.
Every other major LMR manufacturer offers AES. Other manufacturers offer RC4. It’s a broke joke though.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I monitor DMR at a nearby shopping mall and have made note of a few things. Security at the mall is in the clear (DMR UHF), but some of the undercover loss prevention employees at certain outlets (Macys, Elder Beerman, JC Penneys) are encrypted when observing a suspect and communicating with their dispatch. Lots of DMR in that area, the Fairfield Mall is a beehive of activity for radio only a few miles away. Lots of action in the parking lot, too. Makes for entertaining evenings during the holiday shopping season.

Ubbe

Uniden scanners mutes and continues scan on everything it thinks are encrypted during normal scan. But if you are in search mode, or enter the frequency directly to listen to it, it will unmute and you can hear the encrypted digital signal when it is decoded to analog, but of course not decrypted. On Whistler scanners you have the option to mute or listen to the encrypted signal, or play a busy tone, but cannot automaticly continue to scan.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.