encrypted freq???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if anyone knows how to "crack" encrypted freq?? For instance trying to listen to Criminal Intelligence Service sounds kinda interesting but when scanning all i hear is a bunch of interference which is beacuse its encrypted, but is their some type of program or software or trick, mod so i can hear transmits on these channels???

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Good luck with that.

You'd be very popular (to more than just the scanner community...) if you could do such a thing.

IE, it's impossible. When it comes to encrypted comms, you may as well forget they're even there.

jellotor

Short answer is no.

Long answer is...even if you could, you'd be putting yourself in a legal jam that would not be kind to you in many ways.

It's tough when you 'want' to listen to certain encrypted communications but 'cracking' or decoding isn't a good plan and, essentially, you'll just have to accept that there are some things you can't hear.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Just call up the CIS, let them know you'd like to hear the communications, and they'd probably be happy to oblige!

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
CIS?

Heck, they're using analog - not even digital...totally custom built radios and site equipment, so I doubt they'll be changing anytime soon.

Unless you mean CSIS... :)

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
lol alright ya i knew of all the above cept for calling don't want to imply a deathwish :p but was just wondering if any"underground" mods....Hmm gives me something to try in my spare time

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
hawkeye32 said:
lol alright ya i knew of all the above cept for calling don't want to imply a deathwish :p but was just wondering if any"underground" mods....Hmm gives me something to try in my spare time

And while you are at it you might as well attempt to find a cure for cancer, the oil problems, Durfur, Iran, Iraq, etc etc etc.
You'd have better luck fixing those problems than trying to figure out to decrypt encyption.
That said keep your ears open to those talkgroups, as a wise man once told me, 'you never know.'

VE3RADIO

in reality it has probably already been done, that being said, if this crack exists it will never be released. Just like Satellite TV.. the P4 card for DirectV has been hacked.. but will NEVER be released.

pathalogical

Anyone watch Numb3rs ? All ya need a chalkboard full of complex mathamatical formulas and in an hours time, encryption with be a thing of the past !!! hahaha

rdale

Premium Subscriber
WZ1 said:
in reality it has probably already been done

No, it hasn't... I'd recommend a check of the encryption threads in the general forum.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Every country in the world is trying to break the encryption. Then they can listen in on radio transmissions in our embassies and military commands. Millions of dollars are spent each year in this effort. If you can break the current encryption the last person you would want to sell it to would be a scanner manufactuer. Contact Russia, Israel or even go down to Columbia and deal with the drug lords and you could get rich beyond belief.

At the same time, our counter espionage units are working on new forms of encyption.

jellotor

WZ1 said:
Just like Satellite TV.. the P4 card for DirectV has been hacked.. but will NEVER be released.

It's nothing like satellite TV.

Decrypting satellite TV doesn't potentially put high-risk operations under the microscope by the monitoring public.

SCPD

QRT
rdale said:
No, it hasn't... I'd recommend a check of the encryption threads in the general forum.
Was'nt just a couple of years ago a group of criminals or students cracked the encryption on a radio system in Asia. it was a Motorola system.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
When trunktrackers came out some people also said youd NEVER be able to track it on a scanner without flipping channels...

Never know with encyrption but im sure its next to impossible

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Well considering i am a retired USMC i kinda know how the encryption works at least for the goverment, but all in all i was just curious thats all...

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that trunk tracking doesn't involve decrypting data that is specificaly intended to be private.

Encryption has been around a lot longer than trunking.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
torontokris said:
When trunktrackers came out some people also said youd NEVER be able to track it on a scanner without flipping channels...

Well, the rest of the people who had knowledge of the technology knew it would be happening. Trunking is not even CLOSE to encryption when it comes to technical requirements.

I'm not sure where you're going with that statement anyways.

MetalCarnage

Whoooaa, wait wait? Are you all saying there will never be a crack so i can listen to encrypted Provoice with my BCD396t??

I refuse to believe that, you are all LIARS!!!!

Hehe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.