encrypted freq???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
rdale said:
So we have you on record saying that there will be a hack for DES encryption in the future...

There already is a hack for DES encryption:

http://www.cryptography.com/resources/whitepapers/DES.html

It only took $250,000 and 56 hours back in 1998.

Here's another reference:

http://lasecwww.epfl.ch/memo/memo_des.shtml

This one only took $200,000 and 4 days.

In the future, the cost of owning the computer horsepower will come down and anybody should be able to crack a DES key in real time. When? Who knows, perhaps 5 - 10 years?

Of course, by the time that the average Joe has enough horsepower to be able to crack a DES key in real time, most agencies will be using something more secure.

The 3 letter agencies have moved onto AES or better now and NIST proposed phasing out DES back in 2004:

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/26721-1.html

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Jammin_Jay said:
DES is a digital form of encryption for an analog signal.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you said:

Jammin_Jay said:
Old analog encryption? Could you be referring to Voice Inversion or perhaps DES.

Seemed to me that you were saying that DES was old and an analog form of encryption.

Both Voice Inversion and DES (and DVP and AES) can be applied to an analog signal but Voice Inversion does not involve digitizing the audio as the digital forms of encryption do.

Since DES involves manipulating the bits according to a mathematical algorithm, it's consider a digital form of encryption whereas voice inversion is not.

Jammin_Jay

Yes, i understand mike.
Somehow i wish there was way to listen to encrypted p25, but i dont think that will be possible. Digital encryption of a digital signal could mean many ways of manipulating the datastream. But as new law enforcement agencies start implementing new radio systems, they go full blown out for p25 encryption or provoice in the radio system. The ones that can afford it anyways. The smaller ones, that continnue to operate in analog, can afford to just upgrade it to voice inversion as a detterent, or they call it a form of encryption, which i still laugh at, but they haven't got the funds to upgrade to a digital system with encryption, with brand new radios.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Jammin_Jay said:
But as new law enforcement agencies start implementing new radio systems, they go full blown out for p25 encryption or provoice in the radio system.

Provoice isn't encryption and is easily defeated.

All it takes is a Provoice compatible radio which are readily available on Ebay and you're listening.

newtoscanning

Confsuion

As mike sated, you can listen to encrypted transmissions, I remember reading a while back that the NSA could decrypt pretty much anything. (sorry, I can't source that claim though, memory only).

This isn't to say the average 'hobbiest scanner' can listen to it, but...it can be done, for a lot of money and time (knowing what the F*ck your doing helps too!)

If hawkeye32 is retired from the marine corps, then he probably know of some 'top secret' decryption (or a plan thereof), this I wouldn't be posting in a public forum but it is his choice.

I got blasted a while back for stating that you can purchase 'scanners' that will decode iden signals. No, you can't buy them at Radio shack, no you can't buy them if your law enforcment, but if you are a Telus site technician (or I guess Nextal in the US), they give you the hardware so you can test the tower.

Just an observation from reading the posts, make sure you are clear if you are saying it can't be done by hobbyists, or can't be done period.

</confusion>

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Yes ia m a retired USMC from 1st Mar div Bat 2 echo company, the way i see it is if i was gaining this for criminal use then yes be punished, but to just listen to find out about the city i am in or curious nature shoule be no harm, I do know that some freq from the U.S. Military for training are encrypted, but when i was in training (boot camp) i asked so is it possible for someone to "crack/hack" this encryption, was told it can be done , but be very hard and expensive as you prev. stated...I only know the common stuff they use for encryption and a lil bit of process...(was a frontline solder)... Well anyways happy scanning folks and to those fellow comrades out their Semper Fi!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.