Encrypted frequencies

crankbait

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the law enforcement frequencies are encrypted in Rusk County Texas. Please let me know got a new BCD160DN Scanner and want to download them

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Did you check out the Rusk County page on RadioReference?

Right now, the page shows all of the agencies are analog and not encrypted. It is possible that could change in the future, also could see them go trunked - which the BCD160DN does not support.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the law enforcement frequencies are encrypted in Rusk County Texas. Please let me know got a new BCD160DN Scanner and want to download them
As was noted in your other thread, several of the public safety channels (county fire) use P25, which your scanner cannot monitor.

A number of the Sheriff's office channels use DMR, which the 160DN can handle, as long as it is not on a trunked system.

However, as also noted before, there are a number of talkgroups using TxWARN for the Sheriff's office as well as Henderson. None show encrypted, but your scanner cannot receive TxWARN, so any radio traffic there would not be heard with your 160DN.

Hopefully, someone in your area will see this thread, and can advise whether most communications are on the conventional channels, or are using TxWARN.

As mwjones already noted, at this time, none are listed as using encryption.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
You can't monitor encrypted frequencies
It seems like he knows that, he’s just asking if they are or not. Last time I went through they were on VHF analog and P25, but the poster above said TxWARN now so OP would need a trunk-tracking P25 scanner, preferably with Phase 2 capability because it’ll be that way in the future if it isn’t already.

crankbait

Premium Subscriber
Did you check out the Rusk County page on RadioReference?

Right now, the page shows all of the agencies are analog and not encrypted. It is possible that could change in the future, also could see them go trunked - which the BCD160DN does not support.
Why doesn’t my bcd160dn not pick up the law. Does it have to be setup

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I think they are patching fire dispatch to vhf , I might be able to see if that is true the SO side

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Why doesn’t my bcd160dn not pick up the law. Does it have to be setup
As noted earlier in this thread, your scanner is not capable of receiving P25 digital transmissions; several of the fire departments are licensed for both P25 (digital) as well as analog transmissions. Your scanner would only be able to monitor the non-digital fire communications. There are also talkgroups on TxWARN in use.

Your scanner is also incapable of handling a trunked system. As WB5UOM noted in post 4, county agencies are using the P25 Trunking system TxWARN for most communications.

While at least some of the fire traffic is patched from TxWARN to the Vhf fire channels, you would only be able to monitor them if the patch is to the analog channels. Most of the fire channels are listed as dual mode, with a given frequency used both as analog, as well as P25. So if the patch feeds the P25 channels, you would not be able to access them.

If you acquired one of the discontinued Whistler database scanners such as the handheld WS1080 or WS1088, or base mobile models WS1095 or WS1098, you would be able to monitor both the TxWARN trunked system, as well as the P25 & DMR conventional channels. You might be able to sell your BCD160DN, or trade it for one of these models. While the Whistler scanners listed do not receive NXDN (though your 160 does), there does not appear to be any agency in your area using NXDN.

Several of the counties adjacent to Rusk also have some P25 conventional channels, and/or also utilize the TxWARN system.