Encrypted Marine Channel 16 on The Shoreline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, I use my M504 in the shack to monitor marine traffic ( mic is disabled ) so I have no need to purchase the optional scramble board. I guess I will never be able to find out what the scramble audio sounds like on my radio. But this is an interesting topic which merits more intense monitoring!

Manny

kmacinct

I recall the Portuguese Fisherman coming in on all kinds of (unauthorized) frequencies during my CG time in New London.
They came in on UHF, Low band, and of course VHF Marine and commercial - scrambled very often.

You would be surprised at the lengths fisherman goto (Local and foreign) to keep their 'hot spots' to themselves...

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I believe it! Not that it's right in how they do it, but for most of these guys, fishing is their bread and butter so I can understand why they don't want their hot spot known! I've been monitoring marine for a while now and only recently discovered that scrambled comms are legal in this band.

Manny

quantar21

Probably two commercial fishing boats, they are known to use industrial two way radio with encryption on VHF marine channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.