Encrypted uniden

sempai

I know the newer models simply skip over it and display a enc/link I’m doing a paper on encryption and its effects and need to know what models of uniden you can hear garbled data voice thanks

i just wanted to mention a Feature to look for on any scanner, if you want to hear and or capture encrypted transmissions, many scanners have a "discriminator tap". it can allow you to dump encrypted audio to a file to analyze and/or decrypt.

fortunately there is a list of uniden scanners with that feature in the RR wiki: Discriminator output - The RadioReference Wiki

good hunting

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP: Will mute encrypted audio.

Yeah, sorry, just saw your post after I had made mine.

Guess you missed mine also indicating that early on, the sound of encryption could be heard. Not the whole transmission but enough to hear encryption was taking place before it muted and resumed scanning.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
BCT15: Analog only.

BCT15X: Analog only.

BC250D: Like the 296, will most likely not mute on encrypted audio.

BC296D: Will not mute encrypted audio.

BR330T: Analog only.

BC346XT: Analog only.

BC346XTC: Same as the XT with minor differences. Analog only.

BCD325P2: Will mute encrypted audio.

BCD396T: I had owned this scanner and I'm sure it too muted encrypted audio.

BCD396XT: Will mute encrypted audio.

BCD436HP: Will mute encrypted audio. Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

BCD536HP: Same as above.

BC780XLT: Analog only.

BC785D: Like the 296D and 250D, will most likely not mute on encrypted audio.

BC796D: Will not mute encrypted audio.

BCD996T: Scanner that mutes encrypted audio

BCD996XT: Will more than likely mute encrypted audio.

BCD996P2: Will mute encrypted audio.

SDS100, SDS200, SDS100E, SDS200E, UBCD3600XLT, & USDS100: Will more than likely mute encrypted audio.

Edit-

And now I see you mention conventional. I think for the digital capable scanners that would be true for conventional as well.
Thank you

phantomcrow

Retired LE
When I first got my 436 back in 2014/2015 enc could be heard for a small amount of time. This was on conventional and Smartzone trunked with phase 1. It was good because if you were not watching the screen, the tiny burst would let you know enc was being used. At that point you had to watch the screen and quickly try to hit avoid which was a PIA.

There are more threads but here are 2 that indicate others could hear enc sounds at one time.

There were also a few threads from those who did logging at the time requesting changes to enc handling be developed to aid them and there were others who opposed it.

These firmware updates had stuff related to enc.

1.11.31 Release Notes (7/7/2017)​

• Modified detection criteria of encryption in Capacity Plus

1.14.00 Release Notes (03/26/2018)​

• Improves P25 Phase 2 Encryption Muting

1.15.00 Release Notes (04/20/2018)​

• Adjust muting for NXDN Encryption
  • Changed operations for encrypted audio, Scan is skipped, Search stays, and Trunked Discovery logs ENCRYPTED

1.17.00 Release Notes (04/27/2018)​

• Modified recording operation for encrypted audio during conventional scanning

Almost 5 years ago you wanted to buy, now your doing a paper?

View attachment 171128
Yes what's the problem? What are you the scanner police? Im retired and looking to spend some time writing a paper on this subject

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I had a Whistler TRX-2 before I bought my SDS years back. One of the few things I liked about that radio was the obvious "encryption tone" the speaker would make. If I remember right, the display also indicates such.

That's my biggest (and only) gripe about the SDS. The way it seems to behave on an encrypted talkgroup in my area, it's hard to tell on the user-end if it's indeed receiving encrypted traffic. It will behave similar to how sometimes the scanner would stop on a TG, wait until the 2 second delay times out and move on. And sometimes it keeps coming back to the same talkgroup, which I know uses part time encryption. It just chaps my glutes that they created it that way. At least make it an option you can toggle on/off.

rf_patriot200

I had a Whistler TRX-2 before I bought my SDS years back. One of the few things I liked about that radio was the obvious "encryption tone" the speaker would make. If I remember right, the display also indicates such.

That's my biggest (and only) gripe about the SDS. The way it seems to behave on an encrypted talkgroup in my area, it's hard to tell on the user-end if it's indeed receiving encrypted traffic. It will behave similar to how sometimes the scanner would stop on a TG, wait until the 2 second delay times out and move on. And sometimes it keeps coming back to the same talkgroup, which I know uses part time encryption. It just chaps my glutes that they created it that way. At least make it an option you can toggle on/off.
Have you noticed on the SDS on the upper right in the Display, right under the Date & Time there's a gap and then the next line down is your volume and squelch levels? That gap right under your Date it will show the digital mode types, as well as ENCRY If it's being used. I Changed my color to Lime Green on those lines to make them stand out when they Activate.