Encryption - the debate rages on

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Using a fictional incident to sell a real-world product is a hard call...
yes but imagine the fear. you have to make the buyer fear that if they don't buy this something catastrophic will happen

Last edited:

cj5

My two cents

As a client of public safety agencies, in other words my hard-earned tax dollars go into the salaries and infrastructure of this system, I personally want to know what my public service employees are doing. How well they do their job. How efficient they are at doing it. Are they doing their jobs? Are there any abuses of the system occurring, behind the curtain of encrypted comms? How are we to know what information is being used at the cost of our own privacy? Encryption should be used only for sensitive situations (i.e. surveillance or some tactical situations), but to encrypt an entire system is a bit overkill, very very expensive, and gives this public service way too much control over information, and the taxpayer's ability to assess what kind of operation is being conducted on their dime. (from one who scans an almost entirely encrypted police system)

As a client of public safety agencies, in other words my hard-earned tax dollars go into the salaries and infrastructure of this system, I personally want to know what my public service employees are doing. How well they do their job. How efficient they are at doing it. Are they doing their jobs? Are there any abuses of the system occurring, behind the curtain of encrypted comms? How are we to know what information is being used at the cost of our own privacy? Encryption should be used only for sensitive situations (i.e. surveillance or some tactical situations), but to encrypt an entire system is a bit overkill, very very expensive, and gives this public service way too much control over information, and the taxpayer's ability to assess what kind of operation is being conducted on their dime. (from one who scans an almost entirely encrypted police system)

From what I hear, global encryption system wide is pretty affordable now. But that aside, I completely agree. It is actually counterproductive to encrypt most common radio traffic. It is a good community relations move to allow the citizenry to be tuned into their local law enforcement and the community around them. Sometimes, an extra set of eyes and ears actually helps LE out. I've helped out several times thanks to my old Pro-2006 mounted in my cars in years past when I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I feel LE agencies here strike a pretty fair balance in the use of encryption and keeping the public in the loop on most traffic. It's logical to try for such a balance.

elk2370bruce

What it all comes down to is these facts.
1. Public safety forces can, have, and will continue to drift over into encrypted systems. There are loads of grant money out there so the direct cost is either insigificant or downright non-existent.
2. Scanheads like us were never part of the design, or operations, or even monitoring concerns of these radio systems and our impact on the licensees , (after many decades) by our listening is not even worth diddly squat. Most agencies don't care a second's thought about the "citizen listener" and never have.
3. So long as 55 gallon barrels of cash continue tro flow and the manufacturers keep showing up at the doors (like the old Fuller Brush Man) with all those new shiny boy toys, things will never change and organizational paranoia will continue to be sold at retail prices.
4. We can whine, cry, protest our "right to listen". write petitions, or exercise our right of free speech here but we have not had, currently do not have, or ever will have any say in the matter as to encryption.
5. Do I miss listening in to some agencies that have gone encrypted? Sure! Can I do anything about it? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.