Energizer Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I just picked up one of these chargers today and it seems pretty slick. I was using Energizer 2500's in my Pro-96, and have been charging them overnight in the scanner. Unfortunately the 15 min charger only likes 1 of the 4 batteries (the other 3 give me the blinking red light). I'm going to try discharging them completely then trying again (i have the same results with the GP1800's that came with my 246t... blinking red light).

Last edited:

bobmich52

One Here Has Had No Problem With The 15 min Rapid Charger.

I Use It For My 396T.

Run Time Has Been 7/8 Hours If Not More.

Might You Have Some Bum Batterys Or Could The Charger Be A Lemon?

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
The way I understand the charging process, a battery should always remain as cool possible, or at most warm to the touch, during charging because high temperatures shorten battery life. However, some temperature rise cannot be avoided. If the batteries are too hot too touch while being charged, I don't think that is a good situation.

Fast chargers, such as the Energizer 15 minute, usually generate high temps in the batteries being charged. The Energizer charger claims to limit the temps of the batteries, but it doesn't say what the temp limit is. While we all like fast recharge times, we are actually cutting down on the number of times the battery can be recharged, maybe by as much as 2-3 times. The higher rated batteries (2500mAh and up) have about 500 recharge cycles maximum under ideal conditions. Shortening total battery life is great for Energizer, since they sell more batteries that way. I do think that Energizer rechargeable batteries are very good, but I just prefer a good charger that charges at a slower rate (2-4 hours) with controls to limit overcharging and over temp conditions. I would suggtest buying several sets of batteries; that way you don't have to care how long the recharging takes.

I also agree with the previous post about monitoring the fast chargers if you use them, as I have had NiMH rechargeables overheat and leak when the charger protection circuit failed. A definite potential fire hazard.

I have been using a Lightning Pack 4000N charger for over 2 years with excellent results and reliabilty.

http://www.ripvan100.com/products_recharger.htm

Dave

SCPD

QRT
DCHarris said:
I was using one of the Energizer 15 minute chargers to charge the included batteries. I noticed one of the batteries was getting much hotter than the others. It then began sizzling, with some of the contents venting out of the top. Before I could unplug the unit, the top bulged outward/split. Fortunately I was watching the charger at the time. If anyone uses this charger I would make sure you are watching it the entire time the batteries are charging.

The faster you charge batteries the warmer they get. They will not last as long as a result. The gain you make in a fast charge time turns into a liability later. A charge rate of 10% of the batteries capacity extends the life of the battery and reduces the harmful heat produced by fast charges. Since your batteries have a capacity of 2200 milli amp hours a charger rated with an output of 220 milli amps would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.