Equinox Install Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

jeff said:
Anyone have any ideas on mounting a 796D in a Chevy Equinox?

I'm not sure if you're instrument panel is similar to it's brother, the Saturn VUE, but if it is, you might have a DIN space under your factory radio? Mine is just a plastic slot for holding CD's.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not sure if you could put that scanner in the dash on this model. The radio is a "flush fit" type. Actually the more I look at it, maybe you could. You would have to get rid of the factory radio of course.

Also note, you wont be able to check outside temp, reset your oil light, etc. if you get rid of the factory radio.

Macomb, here's a pic of the interior of the Equinox.

http://www.roadfly.com/magazine/gal...2004/Chevrolet-Equinox-SUV-pic-12-9614550.JPG

K0AZV

tspainiv said:
I'm not sure if you could put that scanner in the dash on this model. The radio is a "flush fit" type. Actually the more I look at it, maybe you could. You would have to get rid of the factory radio of course.

Also note, you wont be able to check outside temp, reset your oil light, etc. if you get rid of the factory radio.

Macomb, here's a pic of the interior of the Equinox.

http://www.roadfly.com/magazine/gal...2004/Chevrolet-Equinox-SUV-pic-12-9614550.JPG

That's an even uglier dash then the Vue's :) I need to take pictures of my plumbers special mount that I just did up in my view. I used 1/2 in plumbing flanges screwed down in one of the cupholders. So far it has worked well.

Max...

MacombMonitor

You could mount it to the left of the steering wheel. Mount the mounting bracket just about the cubby-hole. Mark the spot for the holes, drill undersized pilot holes (taking care not to poke the drill too deep). Then use self tapping sheet metal screws. If the plastic is like that in the VUE (it should be), it is very thick, and tough. The screws will hold tightly. Then mount the radio in the mounting bracket.

Attachments

• EquinoxDashWeb.jpg
    EquinoxDashWeb.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,049

jeff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to mount a Ram Mount 111D on the floor just to the right of the console in front of the passenger's seat, with the scanner upright. If my measurements are correct, the scanner will be even with the console at the shifter level, and there should be plenty of leg room left. The inside fuse panel is located on the same side.

I might be mistaken because of the limited view in the pictures, but it looks like there is room to mount the scanner vertically at the back end of the OEM console...

MacombMonitor

2112 said:
I might be mistaken because of the limited view in the pictures, but it looks like there is room to mount the scanner vertically at the back end of the OEM console...

If it's like my Saturn VUE, and it looks like it is, it might interfere with the emergency brake.

MacombMonitor said:
If it's like my Saturn VUE, and it looks like it is, it might interfere with the emergency brake.

They sure don't make it easy for us, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.