Equipment Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for some suggestions on equipment. I currently run a few rtl sdr's and an old radio shack PRO-170. I currently live in Maryland and are unable to have any external antennas. (or at least any that are mounted on the roof). I listen to a little bit of everything (P25, business, ADSB, and mil air)

As a recent college grad I do not have a ton of money to upgrade my existing equipment but are currently wondering if:
>I should spend the money in a better antenna then the dipole given with the RTL
>or to buy a RSP1A?

Remember I cannot have any big outdoor antennas. While I would love to get a SDS100 to replace my PRO-170 , I just do not have the money.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll second that. Antennas and good coax are always a good investment. I'd much rather have a $25 SDR and a $500 antenna than a $500 radio and a $25 antenna.

Not saying you need to spend $500 on an antenna, but if you have attic access and it's conducive to antennas, putting a discone in there with some decent coax to your receiver would be a good upgrade.

WB9YBM

antennas are the most important part of any radio set-up--without them even the best radio won't hear much. If you can't have outdoor antennas, how about in the attic? (It's not ideal but at least it'll get you above most of the ground clutter.) Or a more creative approach--like the maintenance man I heard from that used the rain gutters for an antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.