• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 Error messages when trying to read codeplug

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorosaurus

I'm getting this error message when I try to read the codeplug

TTH1Gwi.jpg

I got this one once, but it seemed to be an anomaly. I'm thinking maybe the cable was loose or something.

OCX6cSi.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I got the cable (ribless) off ebay, so maybe that's the problem? I didn't have any other programs running at the time.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
HT/JT1000/Visar RSS? It looks like you're trying to run that in Windows while you need to be in pure DOS. You don't need an ancient computer, just a DOS environment outside of Windows.

wgbecks

To start with, is your ribless cable configured for RS-232 Serial communications, or is configured to use it USB?

Bill

thorosaurus

HT/JT1000/Visar RSS? It looks like you're trying to run that in Windows while you need to be in pure DOS. You don't need an ancient computer, just a DOS environment outside of Windows.
It's Windows 7 running dos. I was told this would work, but maybe not...

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
As said above but mainly you'll get that error due to running in windows. Boot in do prompt launch the rss in dos, set correct Com port and it should work

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Some older radios cannot handle the transfer speed of newer computers. I use DOS 6 in a Compaq computer that came with dos when it was sold new. I have a couple of the ribless serial cables and they work fine. There are programs that slow the processor for older radios, but I haven't had much success with them.

brndnstffrd

HT1000 RSS is relatively tolerant compared to other RSS as far as computer performance goes. He is using Windows 7, so chances are the computer is not brand new top of the line. There should be no issues with that computer.

OP my recommendation would be to look for a program called Rufus. It is used to make a DOS bootable flashdrive. Take any old flashdrive that im sure most people have laying around. (Make sure its not one currently being used since you will lose anything stored on it.) And Rufus will format it to FAT32 and load the DOS image. It takes less than 5 minutes, and you will be running real DOS avoiding many of the compatability issues with DOS boxes and the hassle of virtual machines.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
You'd have to have a true dos machine. Such as windows 98, 95, 3.1 etc that has true ms dos.

You can try the above some have luck with it like that Rufus.

If that fails you can always find a used older pc on one of the auction sites that has windows 3.1, 95, 98 that has ms dos.

If you recall back in day you'd shut windows 3.1 down and it would go to dos prompt then you'd shut your pc off if you had it not set to auto shut off.

thorosaurus

You'd have to have a true dos machine. Such as windows 98, 95, 3.1 etc that has true ms dos.

You can try the above some have luck with it like that Rufus.

If that fails you can always find a used older pc on one of the auction sites that has windows 3.1, 95, 98 that has ms dos.

If you recall back in day you'd shut windows 3.1 down and it would go to dos prompt then you'd shut your pc off if you had it not set to auto shut off.
Could I simply install Windows 98 on the computer I already have? It's an old 1ghz with 9 pin serial.

jim202

I know this is an old post, but just thought I would add my 2 cents worth of comments.

Just remember that if you load the DOS to the hard drive, it will only work up to an 80 GB drive size. What I do is make 2 partitions on the hard drive. The first one is the DOS partition and make it just under the 80 GB size. Then the rest can be used for what ever Windows you want to run. I have chosen to stick with Windows XP to make things simple.

One other point is I try to find a computer that is only a 32 bit computer and a clock speed below 1 GHz.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can simply put a Win98 disc in the CD tray and reboot the computer. Don't install Win98. Once at the A: prompt, just change to C: and navigate to the MRSS folder and run your RSS. Did this for years without issue. You can create a dual-boot setup, but you have to do it in a certain order and you may have problems if it is not done on the third Wednesday on the 5th month and absolutely before noon...

rbluesky

I'm using a Panasonic CF29 with a floppy drive it has windows XP pro
I use Floppy disks to run my Motorola RSS I boot to win 95 or win 98 dos boot disks and get the A prompt then
take that disk out and insert the Motorola RSS that runs in dos Never had a problem !!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Old PCs are very cheap these days. You could buy a Toughbook and just install DOS on it and be good. I have an old IBM laptop that I installed Window 3.1 and DOS. It boots to DOS and it will run any of the old RSS packages, even the Syntor stuff. Win 3.1 makes it easy to move files or copy files from another computer. I suppose you could install Win 98 to make it even easier, but the old IBM would not run it very good, so I stuck to Win 3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.