Yaesu: Error Programming Ft-60 with RT Systems

pentafed

I have a Yaesu FT-60 that I've been using for several months and originally programmed with RT. I must have done something wrong during a recent attempt to reprogram the radio with a different set of freq's. I clone the radio successfully and then when I attempt to send the new data to the radio I get an error that reads:

"Communication Error: The information in the radio does not match that of the file. Click OK for more information about this error."

However, when I click OK I get nothing. I've gone as far as resetting the radio to factory settings according to the instructions on page 64 of the manual, and problem persists. I even reinstalled the RT software and no change.

Do I need to take this to a tech or does someone know what the deal is here?

Thanks!

pentafed

read and save from the radio first, then do your changes and then send to the radio, try that
Like I said, I cloned the radio successfully which means I did that. So, if anyone actually knows what the error means, I would appreciate hearing from you.

paulears

Would it not be best to try to read and write from an alternative app. This would confirm if it's the radio or the software. Not this radio, but I've had a few examples of chirp sending a radio data that really confuses it, but a read and write cycle with something else tends to reset things.

pentafed

Would it not be best to try to read and write from an alternative app. This would confirm if it's the radio or the software. Not this radio, but I've had a few examples of chirp sending a radio data that really confuses it, but a read and write cycle with something else tends to reset things.
The software was working fine up to this point. Using another application means buying another cable. Trying to avoid that if possible.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried reading the radio and immediately writing it back without making any changes? (Sorry if you answered this but I don't see it.)

pentafed

Have you tried reading the radio and immediately writing it back without making any changes? (Sorry if you answered this but I don't see it.)
No. But I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Sounds like a worthwhile experiment. Thanx

paulears

I’m confused? Is the software really weird? I’ve never ever had a radio that needed different cables. I’ve got a 60 somewhere, and no idea which software I have but I doubt my cable is special. I have around 50 or so cables that are different between makes and often models, because of the radio end differences, but they all have a usb computer end. Does this RT version do things differently?

SA4MDN

Should have said you have already read from the radio and not cloned, cloning is copying the data from 1 radio to another by cable between the 2 or by software

Last edited:

paulears

The message indicates the initial handshake was correct but the radio had data in some fields that was not correct. Like radios that are not GPS capable. The GPS versions send data in usually empty slots. I have an Icom that gets very confused with a code plug from a GPS radio f the same model. I’ve also got a few Kydera radios that have the same software for two separate radios. It reads and writes to the portable and the mobiles. If you try to use a portable code plug in the mobile, it stops you. A ham wrote a better app for programming these with simpler and better facilities, but did not include the model block feature. As a result mobile users suddenly lost the knob operation as the software didnt check the radio had one! using a first gen version of the real app cured it.

my guess is the code plug you used was corrupt at some point in the data stream. Reading and writing is not fix8ng it as the third party app doesn’t notice. Using different software may fix it? My one cable works with the software I have. Is the ft-60 in chirp? I think so? I’d try that.

pentafed

Should have said you have already read from the radio and not cloned, cloning is copying the data from 1 radio to another by cable between the 2 or by software
Cloning is also sending the data from the radio to the software. In fact, that's the setting you use on the radio to do it.

pentafed

The message indicates the initial handshake was correct but the radio had data in some fields that was not correct. Like radios that are not GPS capable. The GPS versions send data in usually empty slots. I have an Icom that gets very confused with a code plug from a GPS radio f the same model. I’ve also got a few Kydera radios that have the same software for two separate radios. It reads and writes to the portable and the mobiles. If you try to use a portable code plug in the mobile, it stops you. A ham wrote a better app for programming these with simpler and better facilities, but did not include the model block feature. As a result mobile users suddenly lost the knob operation as the software didnt check the radio had one! using a first gen version of the real app cured it.

my guess is the code plug you used was corrupt at some point in the data stream. Reading and writing is not fix8ng it as the third party app doesn’t notice. Using different software may fix it? My one cable works with the software I have. Is the ft-60 in chirp? I think so? I’d try that.
The radio has been programmed multiple times already with the same software since it was new, out of the box. How could that happen? It's also strange that the error says more information will be provided, but none is.

Last edited:

pentafed

I’m confused? Is the software really weird? I’ve never ever had a radio that needed different cables. I’ve got a 60 somewhere, and no idea which software I have but I doubt my cable is special. I have around 50 or so cables that are different between makes and often models, because of the radio end differences, but they all have a usb computer end. Does this RT version do things differently?
I've heard and read many reports about RT cables not working with Chirp on this radio and some others. According to the article below that "may be outdated" information. So I may give it a try with Chirp.

Last edited:

SA4MDN

Thats just yaesu terminology where as other makers state, send or recieve data, anyway hope you get it sorted

pentafed

Tried this and same issue persists. Also tried using Chirp with same results. Good news is I was able to manually program a local repeater in and transmit, so there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage to the radio as I had initially feared. I've read some horror stories about programming issues going bad and essentially turning a radio into a doorstop.

Wondering if the cable is shot or something.

k6cpo

Like I said, I cloned the radio successfully which means I did that. So, if anyone actually knows what the error means, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Cloning is also sending the data from the radio to the software. In fact, that's the setting you use on the radio to do it.

You keep saying you "cloned" the information into the radio. You may not be using the proper procedure. Please describe the exact steps you're using to get the data from the RT software to the radio.

Tried this and same issue persists. Also tried using Chirp with same results. Good news is I was able to manually program a local repeater in and transmit, so there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage to the radio as I had initially feared. I've read some horror stories about programming issues going bad and essentially turning a radio into a doorstop.

Wondering if the cable is shot or something.
Don't use Chirp to program a Yaesu radio! While it might work, Yaesu has repeatedly said they won't repair radios damaged by using Chirp. As to cables, are you using an RT Systems cable with the RT software. At one point, their software wouldn't work if you weren't using their cable. I don't think it's same now, but I'm nor sure. The last several radios I've acquired use MicroSD cards for programming.

pentafed

You keep saying you "cloned" the information into the radio. You may not be using the proper procedure. Please describe the exact steps you're using to get the data from the RT software to the radio.

Don't use Chirp to program a Yaesu radio! While it might work, Yaesu has repeatedly said they won't repair radios damaged by using Chirp. As to cables, are you using an RT Systems cable with the RT software. At one point, their software wouldn't work if you weren't using their cable. I don't think it's same now, but I'm nor sure. The last several radios I've acquired use MicroSD cards for programming.
Well, let's see. I've programmed the radio over a dozen times using the RT Systems software. So I think I know how to program it. But if you know what that error message above means, I'm all ears!

FKimble

Your cable may have a damaged end connector. Have also seen cables that needed to be held pushed in while doing a read or write. Does it read ok but only fail when doing a write?

Frank