Excalibur Software Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidplate

Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
110
Reaction score
9
Location
Arizona
Man, I sure like the new update ( 1.51). Now, the noise blanker is effective on most of the noise I get around here.
 

Token

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
845
Location
Mojave Desert, California, USA
Yeah, 1.51 has been out for a couple weeks, it does greatly improve the noise blanker. Prior to this version the noise blanker was essentially useless. Now it is very affective against repetitive pulse type noise. It kills certain types of radar QRM exceptionally well. It is also pretty good at some kinds of QRN, particularly static based crashes.

They also fixed, sort of, the fact that the unused receivers would shift frequency if you closed the program.

And now the time can be displayed in 24 hour format instead of just 12 hour. The fact that the Excalibur was the only SDR on my desktop displaying in 12 hour was annoying, several times I wrote down the wrong time because I was used to just writing it as it was displayed on all the other software.

T!
 

skidplate

Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
110
Reaction score
9
Location
Arizona
I saw that it came out the first part of this month, I don't know how I missed it until just the other day. I have not tried it (the noise blanker) against that CODAR sounding stuff. I thought it might work well with the ALE sounder though. I'm glad they got the 24 hr format too. How odd that that was over looked from the very start.
 

Token

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
845
Location
Mojave Desert, California, USA
The new noise blanker does not work well against CODAR, but it does work well against things like the Chinese OTHRs that plague the 5500 to 11000 range, there can be as many as 8 of them up in that range at any given time, and the PLUTO radar. As I am writing this there is one of the Chinese OTHRs setting around 6820, and the NB is knocking it down greater than 20 dB, making the Ute on 6823 completely copiable, and without the NB on you cannot even tell the Ute is present.

The slow sweep of the CODAR and similar radars is not rapid enough for the NB to attack it, it sounds too similar to possible audio.

As far as ALE goes, it will not remove that, but then nothing will that I know of. Do you happen to have a recording of what you are calling the "ALE sounder"? There is such a thing as sounding in ALE, but the way you say it makes me think what you are referring to is something else. Unless you are running a decoder and looking at the ALE at the time it sounds you cannot tell, by ear, a sounding from a full up ALE link.

T!
 

skidplate

Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
110
Reaction score
9
Location
Arizona
Hey Token, Right you are about the ALE sounders and messages. I had a brain fart, I was thinking of the SUPERDARN and its many sound alikes. I have never heard of the PLUTO you mentioned. Does it have an unusual sound to it or is it also another of the fast pulse or buzz type?
I've done work on some of the antennas here and I now see less trash and more signals on the waterfall now.
 

Token

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
845
Location
Mojave Desert, California, USA
Hey Token, Right you are about the ALE sounders and messages. I had a brain fart, I was thinking of the SUPERDARN and its many sound alikes. I have never heard of the PLUTO you mentioned. Does it have an unusual sound to it or is it also another of the fast pulse or buzz type?
I've done work on some of the antennas here and I now see less trash and more signals on the waterfall now.

Pluto II here:
‪Radar, PLUTO II, 11470 kHz, November 28, 2010, 1457 UTC‬‏ - YouTube

SuperDARN (and HF TIGER) here:
‪Radar, SuperDARN, 10560 kHz, April 10, 2011, 1412 UTC‬‏ - YouTube

Chinese OTHR here:
‪Radar, Chinese OTHR, 6965 kHz, November 28, 2010, 1441 UTC‬‏ - YouTube

The improved NB in the Excalibur software is very affective against all three of these. It is probably most affective against SuperDARN, but works pretty well against the others also.

T!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top