BCD436HP/BCD536HP: External power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

Hi! New 436HP owner here. I've owned countless scanners over the years, and now proudly share this one with my trusty HP-1.

In spite of its plasticy build, I really like the 436HP. Seems to to bring in more signals than my HP-1, and I haven't even begun to dig into the menus.

But my question here--which a search hasn't been able to help with--is what I can use to provide AC power to this. I currently have it plugged into a USB port on my laptop, but that isn't always convenient. I did try to plug it into a USB phone charger type thing, but the scanner just turned on for a minute and then turned off, so I guess this won't work.

Can one use the USB cable with any kind of USB-based charger? Most say they're 1 or 2 amps with 5 V output. My guess is that this isn't enough? Anyone using any kind of external power supply with this? Anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Thank you in advance.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I think you should be able to get by with a 1 amp charger. Check the ratings of the one you tried to use. Maybe it is not for a phone but for an accessory and therefore rated below 1 a,

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Cheap USB chargers that do not provide adequate voltage regulation won't work. Found this out after one of our distributors bought a batch and sent some to us to analyze why they wouldn't work. Our engineer said he would never even want to plug a phone into one of them...major voltage spikes and sags.

raisindot

So, to clarify, a standard USB charging type dock with at least 1 amp should be apply to power this--if it is reliable?

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is my experience. Upman makes a very valid comment. If you are using a brand name product it should work well for you. I would never plug my phone or my scanner into a truck stop or convenience store charger. A $5 charger is a big risk to your device and to your safety.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I use a Scosche 4.8A adapter in the car, and an Anker 60 watt 6 port station at the office (but only ever using 3-4 ports at the same time). Never had any power related issues with operation or charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.