External speaker for smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

I'm looking for some input on a concept I have. I want to stream a scanner app on my phone while in the car, but the speaker on my phone isn't quite loud enough at highway speeds. I would simply attach an audio cable into the front jack of my stereo but do not want to lose the ability to listen to music. I thought of a bluetooth receiver/amplifier but most of the reveiws on Amazon don't impress me. I also was thinking about a small amp driving a standard Motorola radio speaker, but not sure where to begin. I would prefer the setup be bluetooth as the headphone jack on my phone is at the bottom (who's bright idea was THAT?). I'm not looking to break the bank but I can spend some money. Anyone have a setup that works well? Simple or complicated? Let's hear what you got.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

Reading you post - do you want to listen to music and also streaming scanner broadcasts at the same TIME?

You should be able to use bluetooth in your car and switch back to radio /sirus with no problem. But at the same time I do not know a solution. Post if u find it.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I doubt if there are any car audio systems that can mix two or more sources. Using bluetooth will mute whatever else is playing (to take a phone call etc.) Therefore you would not be able to stream audio from the phone and listen to music at the same time. You could make a cord to connect the phone to an external amplified speaker. I just tried it with an iPhone and it worked OK. You would not be able to make of receive phone calls, however. Best solution - just get a scanner and install in in the car.

Rred

Or, just buy a bluetooth speaker, they run from $10/pair for cheapies to $300 apiece for big hifi quality ones. Put whatever you want to use on the dashboard and plug it into a USB charging cable, for ten bucks you're all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.