HP-1: External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedthis

Does anyone know if an external speaker such as the Uniden BC-15 would provide an improvement? I don't need great volume, just would like to get the best possible audio quality. Don't want to waste my money if it won't do any good. Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The HP-1 does not have an amplified external speaker output, only a headphone out. You would need to use an amplified speaker, like the BC23A or similar, to get a volume increase out of the headphone jack.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
One question, if you use the headphone jack for the external speaker (and headphones obviously), then what is the "Line Out" plug for? Plugging up directly to the vehicles speakers?

Ubbe

Line out has a fixed audio level but earphone jack are volume controled.

My impression are that the HP1 have an excellent internal speaker and are my first choice as a listening scanner for analog channels. I haven't found a better sounding external speaker. But maybe you prefere a different sound characteristics when listening and then you could connect line out to your home stereo system and adjust treble and bass and see if you like that better. Then decide if you want to try different amplified (computer) speakers.

/Ubbe

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Okay, all good things to know. I already have the Bearcat amplified speaker, but I like to drive with the windows down when I can, and even the amplified speaker can be a little hard to hear when I am doing 60mph or more with the windows down. I was hoping that the Line Out was an external speaker output that did not have the hearing protection that the regular headphone jack has...and I am guessing that the ol' paperclip trick (used on the Pro96) will not work on this either, correct?

baybum

I use an inexpensive computer speaker that accepts 9-15VDC power input. It has volume control and will blast you out of the vehicle.
Been using it 20+ years. I stash it under the driver's seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.