SDS100/SDS200: External USB drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDE100

Whenever I have my SDS100 hooked up to computer via USB I get errors on my external USB drive. The drive connects and disconnects repeatedly. I"m trying to troubleshoot the issue. Has anyone else seen this problem? In device manager I see that USB hub shows "port reset failed". Its a Windows 10 system.

Thank you

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Or not using the Uniden USB driver for the scanner...
If using a powered hub...

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
In addition to jonwienke's answer, it could also be a com port conflict based on your "port reset failed". It is a good idea to use a powered hub with any device that uses more power than a standard memory stick.
'

Chronic

Sometimes if the cable is too long , more that 2-3 feet long there is enough voltage loss in the wire to cause errors.

JDE100

In addition to jonwienke's answer, it could also be a com port conflict based on your "port reset failed". It is a good idea to use a powered hub with any device that uses more power than a standard memory stick.
'
I thought this also but not sure how to check for a com port conflict.

wtp

i tell folks to use a computer for the radio if the display is bad, or the volume is horrid, or truoble with a keypresses.
so i would recommend to use the radios without the computer, unless you are logging or recording.
i live in Florida so a simple lightning strike could kill all.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
USB ports on computers are notoriously low powered. I try to use them only for data.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked device manager on computer?

The above....
Unplug both devices
Open device manager - check hidden devices.
Uninstall both devices.
Also look for any yellow triangles - kill them also.
Recommend re-boot to be sure....

Plug devices back in and let the comp P&P them again.
Works most of the time, unless you have an actual hardware or driver issue.

JDE100

I was able to get everything working again by basically moving all my USB devices to different ports. The com port on my SDS100 changed from 5 to 4 and now things seem to be working.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have both the SDS100 and the external Drive connected to separate USB ports on the actual computer.
The same applies to the power source going to the USB ports in the computer. The original USB spec only called for 500mA per port, and some power supplies are sized accordingly. You're better off using an external hub with its own power supply capable of powering the max load of the SDS100 (about 1500mA charging and running) and the external drive, plus at least another 50%. If you're having to juggle ports to avoid brownouts, then you're probably running closer to max load that you should be.

Ubbe

I was able to get everything working again by basically moving all my USB devices to different ports.
Each USB port, even on an external USB hub, have it's own unique drivers. If you install a driver to one port, and then move that device to another port, you'll notice that it will load that driver once again for that specific port. So you probably have some of driver collision on that non working port.

Microsoft has a good tool called usbview that can both show all the drivers and settings for a port and let you delete and clear them to start over again if one port seems impossible to use.

USBView in Windows - Windows drivers

/Ubbe

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Each USB port, even on an external USB hub, have it's own unique drivers. If you install a driver to one port, and then move that device to another port, you'll notice that it will load that driver once again for that specific port. So you probably have some of driver collision on that non working port.

If you are implying that if you plug something into a USB port, and then plug something else into the same USB port that Windows will use the driver for the first device instead of the one for the second, you are incorrect.

Now, if you are saying that if you plug something into a USB port and Windows creates a "COMx" device for it, and then you plug another device that uses a different driver into that same port Windows will create a *new* "COMx", that is true. But Windows determines what driver to use based on the device that is plugged in, not the physical USB port.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if I can be any clearer than that.

So you're asserting that if I plug "device A" into "USB 1", and plug "device B" into "USB 2", then disconnect both devices and plug "device B" into "USB 1" there will be a device-driver conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.